This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a small comission at no extra cost to you. For more info, check out my Disclosure Policy. Thank you for your support!
If you need a dinner recipe which is quick to make but deliciously creamy and comforting, you have to try my gluten free beef stroganoff.
It's the perfect blend of tender fillet steak and a creamy white wine sauce with a hint of smoked paprika and cayenne pepper.
I love beef stroganoff served up with rice but it also works really well with gluten free pasta, mashed potatoes, or even a crusty gluten free baguette.
This gluten free stroganoff is ready in just 20 minutes - with only 5 minutes of prep time and 15 minutes on the hob.
The recipe below is made using crème fraîche and a handful of other ingredients, without the need for any gluten free flour.
The whole thing is an accidentally gluten free dinner which you'll want to keep making over and over again.
Looking for a vegetarian version of this recipe? Give my gluten free mushroom stroganoff recipe a go instead.
Beef stroganoff ingredients
There's a full printable recipe card below with the quantities and method, but here's a bit of info on the ingredients you'll need and any subsitutions.
- Fillet Steak: I know this is a more expensive cut of steak, but trust me it's worth it for that melt-in-the-mouth texture. You could use rump steak instead but fillet is always my cut of choice for stroganoff. Look out for it in the reduced section of the supermarket as you can freeze it until you're ready to make this recipe.
- Butter: Adding butter with olive oil to fry off the steak and vega gives this sauce a lovely creamy texture and a rich, buttery flavour.
- Onion: I just use a single, medium-sized white onion. However, you could use red onion or shallots if you prefer a milder flavour.
- Mushrooms: Closed cup, white or chestnut mushrooms are fine to use in this recipe. Feel free to use whichever mushroom is your favourite - or omit them if you are not a fan. I know some people aren't keen but I absolutely love mushrooms.
- Vegetable Stock: You can find a list of gluten free stock cubes in the UK here and luckily there is a lot of choice. This list is not exhaustive so do feel free to use whichever vegetable stock you prefer.
- White Wine: To me, this is an essential part of the recipe because it gives the stroganoff sauce it's gorgeous flavour. If you don't drink alcohol or want to omit the wine, use 100ml of extra vegetable stock instead.
- Smoked Paprika: The smoked paprika is used sparingly in this recipe but it gives a lovely subtle taste. Too much, and it would overpower the other flavours.
- Cayenne Pepper: I only use a pinch in this recipe (and then an additional pinch to serve) so if you don't have any and won't use it for anything else, you can omit this. That being said, I love adding cayenne pepper to lots of things so it's worth getting!
- Dijon Mustard: This adds a lovely tang and richness to the sauce. You could use wholegrain mustard if you prefer - just make sure whatever you use is gluten free.
- Crème fraîche: I know a lot of stroganoff recipes use sour cream but I prefer to use crème fraîche as I always seem to have some in stock. I'd recommend using the full fat version, otherwise the sauce may not thicken... or may split.
Don't forget the full ingredients list and quantities are all in the recipe card further down this post, which you can print out too!
How to make gluten free beef stroganoff
Making a gluten free beef stroganoff is actually really simple and it can be ready in just 20 minutes.
The first stage is to sear the steak - I like to sear it quickly so it's still pink inside.
However, feel free to
ruin cook the steak for longer if you like it well done.
You then need to remove the steak from the pan so it can rest while you cook up the sauce.
This will simmer to form a deliciously creamy and rich sauce, before you add the steak back in and serve.
I love serving my gluten free stroganoff with rice but you can also dish it up with gluten free pasta or mashed potatoes.
Don't forget a nice side of greens - and I like whipping up some easy cheese garlic doughballs to mop up any leftover sauce too.
My gluten free beef stroganoff recipe
This easy gluten free beef stroganoff is so quick to make and honestly the best dinner recipe ever.
This recipe serves four people but you can easily up or down the quantities to make as much as you like.
And if you loved it, please do leave a review to let others know you loved it too! It would mean the world to me.
- 340g fillet steak
- 25g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 200g mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 200ml gluten free vegetable stock
- 100ml white wine
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ tbsp dijon mustard
- 200ml creme fraiche
- Remove the steak from the oven around 20 minutes before cooking if you can. Chop into thick slices.
- Heat the butter and olive oil on a medium-high heat. Once hot, add the steak slices and cook for 1 minute, before turning them over and cooking for another minute on the other side. Remove from the pan and set to one side.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and then add the onions, garlic and mushrooms to the pan. Fry, stirring regularly, for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add the smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, vegetable stock, white wine and mustard to the pan. Stir well to mix, bring to the boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the creme fraiche to the pan, stir well until mixed and then simmer for another 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly and darkened a little in colour.
- Add the steak slices back to the pan along with the juices, mix well and simmer for another 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve straight away with rice, pasta or mashed potatoes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 557Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 158mgSodium: 357mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 25g
Need some more gluten free meal inspiration?
If you want to have a go at some of the other easy gluten free dinner recipes on the blog, why not give some of these a try?
They’re perfect for creating delicious comfort food when you need it!
And if you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next!
Oh – and don’t forget to sign up for my e-newsletter where you’ll know about all my latest posts and competitions first!
Like this Gluten Free Beef Stroganoff recipe?
Make sure you pin these recipe cards below for later!
Do head over and follow me on Pinterest too for more gluten free recipe inspiration.