One thing I've wanted to make for a long time is a gluten free mushroom stroganoff. There's something about the rich and creamy white wine sauce which is just the ultimate winter comfort food, don't you think? And I kind of like the idea of a mushroom stroganoff over beef, as the mushrooms give a really rich and delicious flavour to the sauce.
Want to get straight to it? Skip to the recipe.
When I first made a gluten free mushroom stroganoff, I couldn't believe how easy it was. Why hadn't I made this before!? In about 15 minutes I had this beautiful dish in front of me which tasted like it should have taken a lot longer. I served mine up with rice, but I think this would also be delicious with a crusty, gluten free baguette straight from the oven. And a crisp, cold glass of pinot of course!
This recipe is another of my attempts to eat a bit less meat each week. However, I just couldn't let go of the dairy - this recipe is best with lashings of butter and crème fraîche! I have seen a soya vegan cream in Sainsbury's though, so maybe I will give this recipe a go with that one day instead and see what a dairy free version is like. I'd love to know what you think if you're dairy free and give it a go!
To get the best basmati rice to serve with this, I like to add mine to add mine to a pan of boiler water with a knob of butter. Turn down, cover and leave to simmer for 10 minutes before draining any excess water and fluffing the rice up. I then ladled the mushroom stroganoff over the rice, before sprinkling with lots of freshly chopped parsley.
My gluten free mushroom stroganoff recipe
So here it is, the perfect gluten free and vegetarian meal which you can enjoy of a weekend or weeknight! It's the ultimate comfort food and a really easy recipe to follow. Let me know if you make it!
- 250 g chestnut mushrooms, (sliced)
- 250 g closed cup mushrooms, (sliced)
- 4 shallots, (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves, (crushed)
- 25 g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 100 ml white wine
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ tbsp dijon mustard
- 200 ml crème fraîche
- 1 handful fresh parsley, (chopped)
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a large pan. Add the mushrooms, shallots, garlic, paprika and cayenne pepper and fry on a low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the wine and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Then add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the mustard and crème fraîche and stir through. Bring back up to the boil and summer for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with boiled rice to soak up the delicious sauce and sprinkle with the parsley. Enjoy straight away!
Need some more gluten free and vegetarian recipe inspiration?
If you’re looking for more meat free inspiration for your meals, here are a few for you to try next:
- Gluten free and vegan beetroot soup
- Gluten free sweet potato and peanut stew
- Gluten free sweet potato and black bean quesadillas
If you do make this recipe please let me know! I’d love to see your photos using #theglutenfreeblogger, share them in my Facebook group or tag me on Instagram. If you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next! Oh – and don’t forget to sign up for my e-newsletter where you’ll know about all my latest posts and finds!