There’s nothing more comforting in the winter than a bowl of gluten free soup and what could be better than this bold and bright, gluten free beetroot soup recipe? It’s cheery purple tones are guaranteed to brighten your day, and the earthy flavours make this a real treat. I love beetroot but it’s not something I’ve experimented with much other than adding it to a salad or making my beetroot chocolate brownies.
When I saw some pictures of beetroot soup when browsing Pinterest, I was captivated by its bright purple colours and knew I had to give it a go! I decided to bulk out my gluten free beetroot soup recipe with potato. I love the creaminess potato adds to a soup, and it gave this recipe a lovely texture while keeping the subtlety of the beetroot taste. All-in-all, with just a few simple ingredients, this soup is ‘souper’ easy (sorry!) and cheap to throw together.
The motivation to make this gluten free beetroot soup came from a challenge by Debenhams. I was very kindly sent this Nutribullet Black RX Juicer Blender to test out. Because I’m not the biggest smoothie fan, I wanted to make a gluten free and dairy free soup, as it’s a great way of getting some extra veggies into my diet. Et voila, this gluten free beetroot soup recipe was born!
I’ve always wondered what the hype is with Nutribullets but now I can completely see why people rave about them. I’ve never had a blender which has created such a smooth consistency - and this model also has a special soup setting which heats while it blends. It’s definitely worth investing if you’re considering a Nutribullet, as I don’t think any other blender will compare.
I hope you enjoy this gluten free beetroot soup recipe - it’s dairy free and vegan as well, so can be enjoyed by everyone. If you wanted an extra treat, you could swirl some coconut cream into it before serving, or make some of my gluten free garlic croutons to go on top.
Gluten free beetroot soup recipe - also dairy free and vegan
- 4 pre-cooked beetroots
- 300 g white potatoes
- 1 small red onion
- 400 ml of gluten free vegetable stock
- 200 ml full fat coconut milk
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tbsp virgin coconut oil
- Pinch salt
- Peel the potatoes and chop them into small cubes. Using gloves to avoid staining your fingers, chop the beetroot into similar size cubes. Peel and finely dice the onion.
- Add the coconut oil to a large pan and melt on a medium heat. Then add the potato and onion, plus the chilli, garlic, cumin and salt. Stir well on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the beetroot to the pan and stir for another couple of minutes. Then add the stock and coconut milk. Bring to the boil.
- Turn down to a gentle simmer, cover, and leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before blending and serving sprinkled with salt, pepper and extra chilli flakes.
If using the Nutribullet RX you can leave to cool before blending, and use the soup-making function of the blender to reheat as you blend it!