This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, check out my Disclosure Policy. Thank you for your support!
The winter months are always a great time to invest in some new gluten free soup recipes, and this curried potato soup with gluten free garlic croutons is healthy, delicious, and cheap to make. If you're looking to eat more vegetables, save money on your food bills, or just try some new meals as a new year's resolution, you can't go wrong with this gluten free soup recipe!
I chose to use white potatoes in my recipe because I had loads left over from Christmas. I feel a bit sorry for white potatoes really - they seem to have been overshadowed by their sweet potato cousins who have stolen all of the limelight! I do love a sweet potato, but white potatoes make a really creamy and delicious soup. It gives the soup a really rich flavour and silky texture, almost like you've added cream to it.
A simple gluten free soup recipe
I wanted to add some kick to my soup because I've been fighting off a cold for weeks now (damn this poor coeliac immune system!) so I added some chilli flakes, turmeric and garam masala to give it some depth and heat. I also used onion, garlic and celery to boost the flavour and add some goodness. For the stock I used vegetable Bouillon, and this recipe is also dairy free and vegetarian, so it's perfect for everyone.
For the gluten free croutons, I used some leftover Genius gluten free bread, which I ripped into 'rustic' looking chunks! Baked with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, they were absolutely delicious and I could happily have sat there and just scoffed the lot on their own!
This really is a simple gluten free soup recipe to make, and well worth it. You can adjust the amount of chilli to your taste, and you can also batch cook it and freeze it in portions. I think I'll be having mine for lunches during the week as I'm still a bit off my food, but this will certainly keep me toasty and warm. You could even pack some in a Thermos and take it on a winter walk!
Gluten free curried potato soup and garlic croutons
I've made this little video to help you along the way in making your soup, but scroll down below for the full recipe and ingredients. Let me know if you give it a try, I love seeing your photos!
For the soup
- Approx 550g white potatoes
- 1 red onion
- 2 sticks of celery
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 1 litre gluten free vegetable stock
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp salt
- Handful fresh coriander
For the croutons
- 3 slices gluten free bread
- 1 tbsp virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp garlic granules
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First make the soup. Peel and dice the red onion, dice the celery and peel and roughly chop the garlic.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into small cubes, approx 1 inch square.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan, then add the onion, garlic and celery. Fry on a low heat for 2-3 minutes then add the turmeric, garam masala, salt and chilli flakes. Continue to fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the potato to the pan, stir well and fry for another minute. Then add the vegetable stock, cover and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the coriander (leaves and stalks, roughly chopped) and stir well. Take off the heat.
- Add the soup to a blender (or use a handheld food processor) to blend until smooth.
- For the croutons, pre-heat the oven to 180'C and add the olive oil to a baking tin. Roughly tear the bread (or chop if you prefer neater croutons!) and add to the pan. Mix well with the oil until coated, season with the salt, garlic and pepper, and then bake for 5 minutes.
- Pour your soup into a bowl, top with croutons, and tuck in!