This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, check out my Disclosure Policy. Thank you for your support!
This Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff is an easy, gluten free, family-friendly dinner idea. Chicken thighs are cooked in a creamy white wine and soured cream sauce to make this easy slow cooker recipe.
I absolutely love a gluten free stroganoff recipe and cooking it in the slow cooker just makes things so much easier.
This is a perfect 'dump and go' crockpot recipe, where you can just chuck everything in and leave the slow cooker to work it's magic.
I use boneless chicken thighs and the sauce is flavoured with mushrooms, garlic, dijon mustard, smoked paprika, white wine and stock.
The addition of butter and swirling in sour cream makes it super creamy and delicious. The perfect comfort food for winter!
Ingredients and Substitutions
There's a printable recipe card below with all the ingredients for my gluten free chicken stroganoff recipe.
But for the shopping list you will need the following ingredients:
- Chicken Thighs - I use boneless skinless chicken thigh fillets for this recipe. Using chicken thigh gives this dish tonnes of flavour and also helps to keep costs down. You can use chicken breasts if you prefer.
- Butter - This gives a lovely rich flavour to the sauce. You could omit this if you want to keep the calories/fat content down, or use a lighter butter substitute.
- Onion - A finely chopped onion gives flavour to the dish. I use a standard brown onion but you can use a red onion if you prefer.
- Mushrooms - In this recipe I use standard, closed cup mushrooms. Chestnut mushrooms also deliver a gorgeous, umami flavour.
- Garlic - I always use frozen chopped garlic for convenience, but you can use fresh garlic cloves (crushed or finely chopped) or a garlic paste if you prefer.
- Vegetable Stock - Not all vegetable stock is gluten free so make sure you double check the ingredients. I usually use Knorr stock as it's certified gluten free, but I have a whole list of gluten free stock cubes here. You can use chicken stock if you prefer.
- White Wine - You can omit this if you don't want to use alcohol in the dish but to me, it's vital for getting the right flavour in the sauce.
- Smoked Paprika - This adds a very subtle hint of smokiness without being overpowering. You can use standard paprika instead but it won't be as smoky.
- Cayenne Pepper - Just a pinch is all you need! This dish is not at all spicy but you can omit this if you prefer.
- Dijon Mustard - Did you know most dijon mustard is gluten free? Always double check the label but generally most brands are safe. Unlike English mustard, which is made using wheat flour.
- Soured Cream - I always use sour cream when making stroganoff. I've tried it with crème fraîche but I found it curdled in the slow cooker. If you want a lighter version you can try a reduced fat cream cheese, but to me soured cream is the only way!
- Cornflour - I always use cornflour (corn starch) to thicken this stroganoff recipe as I find the slow cooker can water down the sauce a bit.
Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff FAQs
To help troubleshoot, I've tried to answer as many frequently asked questions as possible about this slow cooker stroganoff.
But if you have any others please do add them to the comments at the end of this post and I'll do my best to answer them!
Is slow cooker chicken stroganoff gluten free?
Yes, this recipe is 100% gluten free and safe for people with coeliac disease, as are all of the recipes on my website.
This chicken stroganoff doesn't use any wheat flour or gluten-containing ingredients so it is naturally free from gluten.
Just make sure you double check some of the ingredients to ensure they are gluten free, such as the vegetable stock and the dijon mustard.
Is this chicken stroganoff dairy free?
This recipe uses quite a bit of dairy with the butter and soured cream so in it's current state is not dairy free.
I haven't found a vegan substitute for soured cream - a dairy free cream cheese could work combined with a vegan butter subsitute.
WHICH SLOW COOKER DO YOU USE?
I absolutely love my Morphy Richard's Sear and Stew Slow Cooker. It's perfect because the pan can be used on the hob too!
I know a lot of people are worried about the cost of living and looking for cheaper alternative to turning on the gas or electric oven.
The good news is slow cookers are actually pretty efficient to run!
I've done a bit of research online and it looks like a slow cooker costs roughly 16p a day to run, compared to 87p a day for an electric cooker.
WHAT IF I DON'T HAVE A SLOW COOKER?
If you don't have a slow cooker you can make this chicken stroganoff recipe on the hob instead.
I would recommend following the steps for my gluten free beef stroganoff instead, as the recipes are very similar.
Start by cooking the chicken thigh fillets in the butter until they have browned. This should take around 5-10 minutes.
Follow the beef stroganoff recipe through steps 3-5, then add the chicken back into the pan. Simmer for 15 minutes until cooked through then serve.
What to serve with chicken stroganoff?
I find this chicken stroganoff slow cooker recipe so versatile - you can serve it in a number of ways. My favourites are:
- Serve over steamed greens and brown rice for a hearty and healthy meal. A garnish of fresh parsley really sets it off too.
- Mix cooked gluten free pasta into the stroganoff and serve as a hot pasta dish.
- Plate up your stroganoff with plenty of buttery, mashed potato on the side to soak up the sauce.
Of course, you can serve it up however you like, but these are my favourite ways.
Can I freeze this slow cooker chicken stroganoff?
Yes, this slow cooker stroganoff freezes really well and is therefore perfect for batch cooking.
To freeze, simply portion into tubs, allow it to cool completely then freeze for up to 6 months.
This means you can simply reheat from frozen and have a handy, microwave meal whenever you need one!
My Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff Recipe
This easy slow cooker chicken stroganoff recipe is the perfect family dinner. It will save you time and make the house smell amazing as it cooks.
This recipe serves four people but you can easily up or down the quantities to make as much as you like.
And if you loved it, please do leave a review to let others know you loved it too! It would mean the world to me.
A super easy, gluten free dinner the whole family will love! Made with chicken thighs to keep costs down - serve it with brown basmati rice and green veg, and freeze any leftovers in microwaveable portions!
- 640g chicken thigh fillets (cut into large chunks)
- 25g butter
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 200g mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 200ml gluten free vegetable stock
- 100ml white wine
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ tbsp dijon mustard
- 200ml soured cream
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- Add all of the ingredients except the soured cream and cornflour to the slow cooker. Mix well and cook on high for 3-4 hours / low for 5-6 hours.
- Remove the lid, add the soured cream and stir. Add the cornflour to a mug or bowl along with a large spoonful of the cooking liquid from the slow cooker. Mix until smooth then pour into the slow cooker and mix well.
- Replace the lid and cook for another 30 minutes on high / 1 hour on low before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 610Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 275mgSodium: 527mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 41g
NEED MORE SLOW COOKER RECIPE INSPIRATION?
Here are some more gluten free slow cooker recipes you can try out once you've made this Gluten Free Chicken Stroganoff.
If you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next!
LIKE THIS SLOW COOKER CHICKEN STROGANOFF RECIPE?
Make sure you follow me on Pinterest and pin this recipe card below for later!