It's nearly Shrove Tuesday and I've already gone a bit crazy on the Easter recipes, so I thought why not try a gluten free Mini Egg pancakes recipe as well!?
These are like the family friendly version of my gluten free gin and tonic pancakes.
They're sweet and delicious, packed with melty Mini Eggs and topped with extra chocolate! What more could you want from pancakes!?
My gluten free Mini Egg pancakes are basically deliciously fluffy American-style pancakes, stuffed with crushed Mini Eggs.
Kind of like an Easter twist on chocolate chip pancakes.
When I asked in a poll on my Facebook page if people preferred American pancakes or crêpes, it was a close call.
A solid 62 per cent said they preferred crêpes. And if you really want to give those a go, you can find my gluten free crêpe-style pancake recipe here.
I wanted to create something a bit special, and it was actually one of my lovely Instagram followers who suggested Mini Egg pancakes.
The perfect idea, so thank you lovely follower, because here they are!
And unless you're giving up chocolate for Lent, I see no reason why you should just save them for Pancake Day to be honest!
Top tips for making my gluten free Mini Egg pancakes
These gluten free pancakes are so simple to make, you can't go wrong.
A few tips to make life easier though: firstly, if you're feeling lazy, make the pancake batter in a blender rather than whisking it by hand.
You can also then pour it straight from the blender jug to the pan, to save on washing up!
Another tip is to make sure the pan is hot before you add the batter.
You don't want it too hot otherwise the batter will burn, but you want it hot enough the pancakes don't spread too much.
A medium heat should do it. I like to fry them in butter but this can get a bit smokey, so sometimes I switch it out for coconut oil - it adds a nice flavour to the pancakes too!
Finally, to keep your pancakes warm, stack them on an ovenproof plate in a warm oven (about 140'C / Gas Mark 1 will be plenty) and cover them in foil, so they don't dry out.
Otherwise the bottom of the stack might be a little cold!
Oh, and make sure you keep stirring the mixture every time you ladle in some more, otherwise your Mini Eggs will sink to the bottom.
The perfect gluten free pancake recipe
So the wait is over! Here are my gluten free Mini Egg pancakes! I really hope you like them - and do let me know if you make them.
This recipe serves two, unless you're very hungry and want a giant stack like the one pictured!
For something a bit more grown-up, don't forget to check out my gluten free gin and tonic pancakes too.
Sign Up To The Gluten Free 101 Newsletter!
- 2 large eggs
- 250 g plain gluten free flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 25 g unsalted butter, (melted)
- 300 ml milk
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 80 g Mini Eggs
- Coconut oil or butter, (for frying)
For the topping:
- 50 g milk chocolate
- 40 g Mini Eggs
- Add the flour, baking powder, eggs, butter, sugar and milk to a large bowl and whisk well until it forms a smooth batter. (Alternatively you could do this in a blender!). Pour into a jug.
- Crush the Mini Eggs into small chunks in a pestle and mortar and then add to the pancake mix. Stir well.
- Heat the oil or butter in a large, flat-based frying pan on a medium heat. Once the butter/oil is hot, pour half a ladle of batter into the pan - you can do a couple of pancakes at a time but allow room for them to spread and not morph into one giant pancake!
- Cook for 1-2 minutes until bubbles start to form on top. Flip using a spatula and cook for another minute until golden brown on each side. Remove from the pan and stack them high on plates as you go!
- For the topping, melt the chocolate in the microwave (30 seconds - 1 minute) and pour on top of the pancake stacks. Crush the Mini Eggs in a pestle and mortar into chunks and sprinkle on top - then enjoy straight away!
Top tip: Make sure you stir the mixture each time before you ladle it into the pan, to ensure an even distribution of Mini Eggs!
Hungry for more gluten free recipes?
If you’ve got the gluten free Pancake Day vibe or you want to make some more Easter treats, here are a few ideas to get you started...
- Gluten and dairy free breakfast pancakes with caramelised coconut bananas
- Gluten free Mini Egg blondies
- Gluten free Creme Egg brownies
If you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next! Oh – and don’t forget to sign up for my e-newsletter where you’ll know about all my latest posts and finds!
Like this recipe? Make sure you pin this recipe card below for later!