Shrove Tuesday is around the corner and I can’t believe I haven’t shared my gluten free pancake recipe before! In my opinion, this is the BEST gluten free pancake recipe as it’s super easy to make and creates golden, delicious pancakes every time.
Of course, pancakes should absolutely not be reserved just for one day of the year. While Pancake Day is a great opportunity to pig out, you can make my gluten free pancake recipe any day of the year!
How to make the BEST gluten free pancakes
The idea of a pancake is simple and to be honest, these gluten free pancakes probably don’t differ much to the millions of other pancake recipes out there.
However, you can be safe in the knowledge that I have made these DOZENS of times, and always get the same, delicious results.
To make my gluten free pancake recipe, you’ll simply need:
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 2 large eggs
- 100g plain gluten free flour (I use FREEE, Juvela white mix, Sainsbury’s own or Lidl’s flour)
- A knob of butter (approx 15g)
And that’s it! You can whip this batter up in just a couple of minutes and then get ready for a flippin’ good time (sorry not sorry).
Because let’s face it, the joy of gluten free pancakes is in the flipping and the eating. That’s why a super quick batter is so important – to get to the fun part!
A flippin’ good breakfast or dessert
The best thing about gluten free pancakes is you can enjoy them for any meal – with either a sweet or savoury topping! These gluten free pancakes are really easy to make, top, fold and eat!
If you’re going to be stretched for time on Pancake Day but still want to join in, you can also make these pancakes ahead of time.
Just cook them, stack them up with some greaseproof paper in between to stop them sticking, and pop them in the fridge. They’ll keep for a couple of days and you can reheat them in the frying pan or microwave.
You can also use them to bake up some pretty tasty treats too – just like my gluten free ham, cheese and spinach baked pancakes. This is a recipe which makes a really quick and easy dinner.
The best gluten free pancake toppings
When it comes to topping my gluten free pancakes, I always keep things classic with sugar and lemon juice. I just don’t think you can beat it!
However, if you’re looking for some sweet pancake topping ideas, some of my other favourites are:
- Bananas and chocolate chip – roll them up so they go all gooey and melty
- Maple syrup – an absolute classic
- Berries and whipped cream – even with a cheeky bit of melted chocolate on top
- Nutella – because who doesn’t love a Nutella-stuffed pancake!?
If you’re looking for savoury pancake topping ideas, a few I’ve tried before are:
- Ham and cheese – just an absolute classic in my opinion!
- Cheese and tomato – basically anything with melted cheese is going to be a winner
- Mushrooms in a creamy sauce – a restaurant local to me serves this and it’s just incredible!
Tips for making the BEST gluten free pancakes
The first thing to remember when making this gluten free crêpe recipe is that it’s all about having fun. Definitely give the flipping a go – hopefully you’ll be better at it than I am.
If you’re really not confident when it comes to throwing pancakes around (or just don’t want a plate of mashed-up pancakes which may or may not have been on the floor) then a spatula or fish slice can be a really helpful flipping aid!
You’ll know the pancake is ready to be flipped when you can lose the edges and move it around the pan easily. Don’t over-oil the pan otherwise you’ll end up coated when you do go to flip the pancake up in the air. That’s never good!
My gluten free pancake recipe
So here they are, the best (in my opinion) gluten free pancake recipe out there! Perfect for making up a batch. This recipe makes approximately 4-6 pancakes (depending on the size of your pan) so you can easily double this if you’ve got more hungry mouths to feed!
If you make this recipe and love it, please do let me know by tagging me on my Instagram or using #theglutenfreeblogger. I love seeing your bakes! And please do leave a review to let others know you loved it too! It would mean the world to me.
Sign Up To The Gluten Free 101 Newsletter!
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 100g plain gluten free flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 knob butter (approx 15g)
- Place the crêpe pan (or non-stick frying pan) on a low heat and add the butter. Heat until melted then turn off the heat.
- Add the milk, flour and eggs to a mixing bowl or large jug. Pour in the melted butter (don't worry about wiping out the pan as this will help grease it for the pancakes) and use a whisk to beat the mixture together until it forms a smooth batter and there are no lumps.
- Heat the pan on a medium heat and once hot, add a ladle-full of the batter. Move the pan around until the whole surface is covered and leave for 1-2 minutes. Once the edges start to loosen, use a spatula to gently lift them until the whole pancake is lose and you can move it around the pan.
- Next be brave! Either use your best pancake-tossing skills (or a spatula!) to flip the pancake over. Cook for another minute before serving onto a plate. Top straight away with your favourite toppings!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 pancake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 127Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 63mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g
Need some more gluten free pancake inspiration?
If you want to have a go at some of the other gluten free pancake recipes on the blog, why not give some of these a try? They’re perfect for Shrove Tuesday!
- My gluten free Mini Egg pancakes
- Gluten and dairy free gin and tonic pancakes
- Gluten free buckwheat pancakes
If you do make this recipe please let me know! I’d love to see your photos using #theglutenfreeblogger, share them in my Facebook group or tag me on Instagram. And if you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next! Oh – and don’t forget to sign up for my e-newsletter where you’ll know about all my latest posts and competitions first!