This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, check out my Disclosure Policy. Thank you for your support!
If you want a really easy dinner idea then you have to give this spicy gluten free breaded chicken a go.
These breaded gluten free chicken tenders have a crunchy, spicy coating but are oven baked instead of fried.
It means you still get that gorgeous golden coating without adding lots of oil and messing around with frying.
This gluten free breaded chicken is perfect served up with salad and sweet potato fries or in a gluten free sandwich or roll.
Plus I like to add some spices to the gluten free breadcrumb coating to give it some extra flavour.
There's a full printable recipe card below with the quantities but here's an explainer on some of the ingredients you'll need for this gluten free breaded chicken:
- Chicken breast strips: You can buy ready cut chicken breast mini fillets which work well, or simply cut a chicken breast into strips yourself. The bigger the pieces, the longer the cooking time.
- Gluten free white bread: There's no right or wrong when it comes to the gluten free bread you use in this recipe. I used the Juvela gluten free white bread and it worked a treat. It actually works really well with slightly stale bread, or the crusts that no-one ever seems to want.
- Herbs and spices: I went for a mixture of oregano, chilli powder, paprika, onion salt and garlic granules to make this breaded chicken super tasty. You can of course spice it up with some extra chilli flakes or cayenne pepper, or likewise remove the chilli if you don't like it hot.
- Gluten free plain flour: Any gluten free plain flour or All Purpose flour mixture will do here - I used the Juvela white mix in this recipe as part of an Instagram advert and it worked really well. You could also use cornflour (cornstarch in the US) if you can't find a plain gluten free flour mix.
You'll also need to use an egg to help stick the breadcrumbs to the flour, and then a light spray oil such as Fry Light to spray onto the chicken.
This just helps it to go crispy and golden without all the extra fat and mess of deep frying it.
However, you can always omit this step - it's optional but I do find it adds a little extra golden crunch to the gluten free breaded chicken.
How to make gluten free breaded chicken
Making this gluten free breaded chicken is actually really simple and it's a fun recipe to make with kids too,
They'll love learning as they get involved and dip the chicken in each of the coatings.
Let's face it, messy cooking is always the best and this is one to well and truly get stuck into!
First of all you need to make the breadcrumb coating by blitzing the slices of gluten free bread together with the spices in a food processor.
You'll then need three plates - pour the breadcrumbs onto one, the gluten free flour onto another and the beaten egg onto the third.
Then it's simply a case of creating a little production line.
First dip the chicken into the gluten free flour and then into the egg - this makes the glue that the breadcrumbs will stick to.
Then coat the chicken in the breadcrumbs - really press the mix into the chicken to make sure there are no gaps for that gorgeous crisp coating.
A spritz of oil will help the breadcrumb coating to crunchy, and then it's into the oven for 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
See - I told you it was super easy!
And once cooked you can freeze these chicken tenders too, making it perfect for batch cooking.
What to serve it with
When it comes to serving up this crispy chicken, the possibilities really are endless.
I loved serving this gluten free breaded chicken with some sweet potato fries and a lovely green salad.
You could also pair it with my crispy chilli and garlic wedges or even my maple za'atar sweet potatoes too.
Of course my favourite way to eat this gluten free breaded chicken is definitely hot, and it's lovely stuffed into a gluten free brioche burger bun too.
But it's also really yummy cold - I sometimes keep the leftovers in the fridge to nibble on.
I mixed up some sriracha mayo to go with mine too by mixing mayonnaise andsriracha sauce and it was delicious.
My gluten free breaded chicken recipe
Here it is, my easy oven baked gluten free breaded chicken recipe with a spicy coating!
This recipe serves 4 people as part of a meal (with about 2 chicken pieces each) but feel free to make this bigger or smaller.
It's a pretty easy meal to size up and down.
If you make this recipe and love it, please do let me know by tagging me on my Instagram or using #theglutenfreeblogger. I love seeing your bakes!
And if you loved it, please do leave a review to let others know you loved it too! It would mean the world to me.
Spicy Gluten Free Breaded Chicken
These spicy gluten free breaded chicken tenders are baked not fried to make a delicious and healthy gluten free dinner or lunch. This recipe serves 4 people as part of a meal but can easily be sized up for more portions.
- 400g chicken breast strips
- 3 slices gluten free white bread
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp onion salt
- ½ garlic granules
- 2 tbsp plain gluten free flour
- 1 large egg
- Light spray oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C / Fan 180C / Gas Mark 6.
- Add the bread to a food processor along with the oregano, paprika, chilli powder, onion salt and garlic granules. Blitz until they form a fine breadcrumb.
- Empty the breadcrumb mix onto a plate. Add the gluten free flour to a second plate and then on the third plate, crack the egg and lightly beat it to combine.
- Take one of the pieces of chicken breast and coat it in the gluten free flour. Next, coat it in the beaten egg, then finally coat it in the breadcrumbs, making sure to press them in well so the entire piece is covered. Gently shake off any excess and then place it on the baking tray.
- Repeat with all the chicken pieces until they are all coated in breadcrumbs and on the baking tray. Lightly spray with the oil and then place them in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Serve hot.
- This gluten free breaded chicken can keep in the fridge for 1-2 days and be eaten cold. Alternatively you can freeze it once cooked, just make sure you defrost and then reheat thoroughly.
- For a spicier coating, add extra chilli powder or add some dried chilli flakes. For a milder option omit the chilli powder.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 132mgSodium: 456mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 35g
Need some more gluten free meal inspiration?
If you want to have a go at some of the other gluten free dinner recipes on the blog, why not give some of these a try?
They’re perfect for creating delicious comfort food when you need it!
Giving this recipe a go? Let me know! I’d love to see your photos using #theglutenfreeblogger, share them in my Facebook group or tag me on Instagram.
And if you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next!
Like this Gluten Free Breaded Chicken recipe?
Make sure you pin these recipe cards below for later!
Do head over and follow me on Pinterest too for more gluten free recipe inspiration.
Leave a Reply