Is there anything more amazing than gluten free fried chicken? Crunchy, crispy, gluten free bread crumbs coating tender chicken breast, with a hint of herbs and garlic. This speedy dinner idea is the ultimate treat and so easy to make too. I’ve made it about three times this week and I am obsessed!
Whenever I go to Bull and Bear in Barnstaple I always go for gluten free fried chicken because it’s my absolutely favourite thing on the menu. I wanted to make my own version, but I opted to coat my chicken in gluten free breadcrumbs, and shallow fry it. It’s a great way to use up those end crusts of bread that often get thrown away. I’d much rather put them on my chicken than in my food bin, and I’m always looking for recipes to cut down on food waste.
Gluten free breadcrumb coating
For the gluten free breadcrumbs you can use any gluten free bread you like. There are so many gluten free loaves out there and this gluten free fried chicken recipe would work with either white or seeded bread – it’s completely up to you! I’ve seasoned my gluten free fried chicken with chilli, garlic and flecks of parsley but you could use any combination of spices you fancy. Maybe I should try some other flavoured gluten free fried chicken recipes next – I think an Indian or Moroccan spiced one would be fab.
I originally only made this gluten free fried chicken recipe as an experiment, but after posting a photo of the first batch sizzling away on my Instagram and receiving a welcome response, I made it a couple more times to perfect it so I could share it with you all. Now it’s a regular treat in our house as it’s just so easy to make and everyone enjoys it – gluten free or not!
Gluten free fried chicken recipe
Whether you’re making these for a gluten free party food platter, an easy gluten free dinner or just to snack on cold, the recipe is super simple and doesn’t take long at all. I like to serve mine up with sweet potato fries and some Frank’s hot sauce-spiked mayonnaise for dipping!
- 600 g chicken breast strips
- 3 tbsp plain gluten free flour
- 1 large egg
- 4 slices gluten free bread
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Small handful fresh flat leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp oil, (I use coconut or rapeseed oil)
- Add the bread, chilli, garlic, salt and pepper and parsley to a food processor and blitz into crumbs. Pour out onto a plate. Pour the gluten free flour onto a second plate and on a the third plate, crack the egg and whisk up with a fork.
- Take one strip of chicken at a time, dip in the flour, and then the egg to coat on both sides. Then dip in the bread crumbs and coat both sides, ensuring the chicken is fully coated. Use your fingers to press the breadcrumbs onto the chicken so they stick well. Set aside on a board and repeat with all of the chicken strips.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan on a med-high heat, until hot. Add the chicken strips - fry for 3 minutes and then turn over. Fry for another 3 minutes until golden brown on each side and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken onto a plate covered in kitchen roll. This will remove an excess oil. Serve hot with a dip and sides of your choice!
For the best dip: Add drops of Frank's hot sauce to mayonnaise (to your desired heat) and mix well. It makes a super creamy sauce with a kick - it's amazing!
There you have it – my super easy gluten free fried chicken recipe! If you give this recipe a go I’d love to see – why not join my new Gluten Free Blogger Facebook Group and post a photo in there? Come on over and say hello, it’s a lovely group with some amazing people sharing their gluten free tips and tricks!
Need some more gluten free dinner inspiration?
p data-slot-rendered-dynamic=”true”>Want to have a go at some of the other gluten free recipes on the blog for a quick and easy dinner? Give some of these other gluten free summer recipes a try! There are plenty to choose from – here are a couple to get you going:
- Gluten free pork koftas with garlic yoghurt dip
- Gluten free brie and asparagus quiche
- Gluten free scotch eggs
If you do make this recipe please let me know! I’d love to see your photos using #theglutenfreeblogger, share them in my Facebook group or tag me on Instagram. And if you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next! Oh – and don’t forget to sign up for my e-newsletter where you’ll know about all my latest posts and competitions first!