This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, check out my Disclosure Policy. Thank you for your support!
This month I have been invited to join with the #FreeFromBBQ project and develop a gluten free BBQ recipe - and I think the weather, for once, might have been in my favour! The heatwave in the UK has meant BBQs (and office air cons) have been working overtime, so if you want to enjoy it while you can, these lean pork koftas are something a bit different to try.
Most BBQs tend to end up in a mash up of chargrilled burgers, sausages and chicken drumsticks, so I decided to try something a bit different. Let's face it, if you've been cooking on the barbecue all weekend, you're probably a little tired of gluten free burgers and sausages by now.
I opted to go for a pork kofta recipe - it uses lean pork mince so it's a nice healthy option, and I've paired it with a garlic yoghurt dip and a punchy rocket salad. This is the kind of thing you could cook on the BBQ and enjoy as a light and fulfilling meal, without the meat coma.
These are so simple to make, and should the weather not look too great, you could cook them on the grill or the oven and have an 'indoor BBQ' instead! It's nice to have healthy BBQ recipes, and as long as you don't completely char them, these are free from and simple to make.
Gluten free and perfect for the BBQ, this is a healthy summer recipe which is packed full of flavour.
For the koftas
- 500 g lean pork mince
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 cloves garlic
- handful fresh coriander
- handful fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
For the yoghurt
- 200 g fat free Greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt and pepper
For the salad
- Two large handfuls of rocket
- 1 red onion
- handful plum tomotoes
- ¼ cucumber
- 1 lemon
- Place the fennel seeds in a pan and toast until they become fragrant. Add to a pestle and mortar and crush.
- Chop the coriander and parsley, and crush the garlic clove.
- Add the pork mince, fennel seeds, coriander, parsley, chilli flakes, crushed garlic, salt and pepper to a large mixing bowl and mix well with your hands.
- Shape the pork into six koftas (like big fat thumbs) around skewers. When you’re ready, fire up the BBQ and grill them on each side until cooked through (alternatively, bake at 200’C for around 20 minutes, turning each way).
- Meanwhile, make the yoghurt dip by mixing the yoghurt, olive oil, salt and pepper and a clove of crushed garlic really well in a mixing bowl.
- For the salad, finely dice the cucumber, halve the tomatoes and chop the red onion into slices. Add it all with the rocket into a large bowl, juice the lemon and add the juice. Mix well.
- Once the koftas are cooked, serve it all up. They are amazing dipped in the yoghurt and scooped up with the salad for a mouthful of flavour.
I have suggested this recipe serves two (hungry) people, but it could serve 3-4 people in combination with some other gluten free BBQ food. For more inspiration, check out #FreeFromBBQ on social media, and create your perfect free from BBQ! I also have some other gluten free BBQ recipe suggestions, including an egg-free coleslaw recipe and lots of other gluten free BBQ ideas.
Check out these other fantastic bloggers and their #FreeFromBBQ recipes!
Mel – Le Coin De Mel has created chorizo and cod kebabs
Emma – The Free From Farmhouse
Nathalie – The Intolerant Gourmand
Jo – Paleo Crust has made these delicious paleo stuffed peppers
Vicki – The Free From Fairy has created gluten free veggie burgers
Kate – Gluten Free Alchemist has conjured up some pistachio and lime BBQ swordfish
Rebecca – Glutarama has made an amazing BBQ trout and grilled artichoke recipe
Midge – The Peachicks Bakery has a new twist on steak with a nectarine and apricot 'steak' salad
Eb – Easy Peasy Foodie