This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, check out my Disclosure Policy. Thank you for your support!
If there’s one recipe you need for the barbecue this year, it’s my super easy Gluten Free Burgers, made using only 3 ingredients!
This simple gluten free burger recipe uses beef mince, onion and parsley along with a tasty seasoning to create a recipe everyone will love.
It’s the perfect gluten free BBQ recipe – pair it with my homemade gluten free burger buns for the ultimate hamburger treat!
Making gluten free beef burgers is really easy and I’ve got lots of tips and tricks below to ensure you get the best from this recipe.
They’re also great for making ahead and freezing, so you can always have burgers on standby for when the sun comes out.
Don’t fancy firing up the BBQ or grill? Don’t worry!
Not only are these gluten free hamburgers great for a barbecue, you can also grill them, fry them, bake them or air fry them to perfection.
Are burgers gluten free?
When I was first diagnosed with coeliac disease some two decades ago, most burgers were made with rusk or breadcrumbs as a filler.
This meant they were not gluten free – but nowadays most supermarket burgers are gluten free and safe for people with coeliac disease.
Of course, you can go out and buy some ready-made burgers but making your own is so much more fun and a lot tastier.
Plus these gluten free beef burger patties only use three ingredients and no egg or breadcrumbs to bulk them out – it’s just pure beef!
That means they’re gluten, dairy and egg free and cheap to make in bulk.
Ingredients for gluten free beef burgers
There’s a full printable recipe card below with the ingredients and method but here is a little more details on what you will need.
The main ingredients you’ll need for these gluten free burgers are:
- Beef Mince: Ensure you use at least 10% fat beef mince – ideally 12% or even 20% fat beef mince (ground beef) will create a better taste and texture.
- Onion: A finely chopped onion gives all the flavour you need to these juice burgers.
- Fresh Parsley: I love the little flecks of colour that fresh chopped parsley gives to these burgers. You can omit it if you like but I just think it adds something lovely.
- Olive Oil: This doesn’t go into the burger mixture but you’ll need some to hand for brushing the burgers before cooking. This stops them sticking to the pan or BBQ grill and also sticks the seasoning to the patties.
The ingredients you’ll need for the burger seasoning are:
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Granules
I just use a plain paprika but you can use smoked if you like a smoky edge to your burgers.
Make sure you sprinkle the burger seasoning onto the patties just before cooking, don’t mix it into the meat mixture.
This will ensure a lovely flavour without compromising the texture of the beef mince.
Is this recipe dairy free?
Yes! These beef burgers are not only gluten free, but also dairy free and egg free too.
This makes them suitable for the whole family without having to make any swaps or substitutes.
Top tips for cooking gluten free burgers
Cooking gluten free burgers is really easy but to get the most out of them I’ve got a few hints and tips to improve the taste and texture of your burgers.
My top tips for cooking gluten free burgers to perfection are:
- Avoid lean beef mince if you don’t want to compromise on texture. The higher the fat content, the juicier and tastier your burgers will be.
- When shaping your gluten free burger patties, make a dent in the middle of each one using your fingers. This stops the burgers from bloating when cooking.
- Don’t add the seasoning to the burger mixture, instead sprinkle it onto each side just before frying. This stops the salt reacting with the meat and keeps them juicy!
- Chill your burgers are shaping. This will help them to retain their shape when you’re chucking them on the grill.
- Rest your burgers once they’ve cooked. Just 5 minutes’ resting time will help bring out the flavours and create the juiciest burgers ever! I like to let mine rest with a slice of cheese on top so it goes all lovely and melty.
What is the best way to cook gluten free burgers?
For me, you can’t beat a BBQ, but there are lots of ways you can cook these gluten free burgers depending on what you have available.
Plus if you want burgers in the middle of winter, you might not be inclined to fire up the grill!
Here are the best ways to cook these gluten free burgers:
- To Fry: Simply heat a frying pan on a medium-high heat. Cook the burgers in a dry pan for 7 minutes on each side until cooked through.
- To BBQ: Place the burger patties on a medium-hot grill. Cook them for 7 minutes each side (or 14 minutes, turning every 2 minutes) until cooked through.
- To Grill: Place the burgers until a medium grill and cook for 7 minutes each side until browned and cooked through.
- To Air Fry: Brush both sides of the burger with oil and season, then place in the air fryer at 200C for 8-12 minutes, turning half-way through, until cooked through.
Of course, make sure you follow the instructions in the recipe card for oiling and seasoning the burgers before and during cooking.
Can I freeze these gluten free burgers?
The best thing about these gluten free beef burgers is that they’re great for making in bulk and freezing.
For best results I advise shaping the mixture into patties, freezing the burgers raw and flat between sheets of baking paper.
Defrost the frozen burgers completely in the fridge before cooking them through thoroughly.
You can also freeze any cooked burgers in a similar way, making sure they are completely defrosted and then reheated thoroughly before eating.
Gluten free beef burger serving suggestions
There are lots of ways to enjoy your gluten free burger patties once you’ve cooked them up.
Here are some of my favourite serving suggestions for my gluten free beef burgers:
- Serve them up inside a gluten free burger bun with your favourite toppings such as cheese, pickles, burger sauce, lettuce and tomato.
- Add them to a fresh salad with chopped lettuce, tomato, cucumber, pickled pink onions and a gluten free salad dressing of your choice.
- Serve these burgers with homemade gluten free chips or garlic and chilli potato wedges, or even my favourite potato salad as part of a summer dinner spread.
- Chop up any leftover, cooked burgers and add them to a pasta dish with a tomato-based sauce, similar to my sausage meat pasta recipe, for an easy leftovers dinner.
My gluten free burgers recipe
Here it is, the best gluten free burgers ever and the only gluten free beef burger recipe you need, come rain or shine!
This recipe makes four large burgers, but you can easily make them smaller (just ensure you reduce the cooking times a little).
You can also easily double or even triple the quantities depending on how many people you are cooking for – or if you want spares for the freezer.
Don’t forget to check out my top tips above on freezing these beef burgers and on how to cook them in various different ways.
And please do leave a review to let others know you loved it too! It would mean the world to me.
- 500g beef mince (at least 12% fat)
- Handful chopped fresh parsley
- 1 finely chopped onion
- Olive oil (for brushing)
For The Seasoning:
- Salt and black pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic granules
- ¼ tsp paprika
- Add the beef mince, parsley and onion to a large bowl and ’squish’ the mixture together well using your hands.
- Divide the mixture evenly into four and roll into balls. Flatten each ball to around half-inch thick and then use your fingers to press a dent into the middle of each one. Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to cook, mix the salt, garlic granules and paprika together. Brush one side of each burger with oil and sprinkle with the seasoning. Cook in a medium pan (or on a BBQ) for 7 minutes, brush the tops with oil and sprinkle on the remaining seasoning.
- Flip the burgers and cook for another 7 minutes. Once cooked through, rest for 5 minutes before serving up as you please!
For note on other cooking methods and freezing, see the blog post above.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 111mgSodium: 268mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 35g
Need more gluten free BBQ recipe inspiration?
Here are some more gluten free BBQ recipes you can try out once you've made this Gluten Free Beef Burgers recipe.
If you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next!
Like this Gluten Free Burgers recipe?
Make sure you follow me on Pinterest and pin this recipe card below for later!