If you're looking for a way of using up Christmas dinner leftovers, then look no further than my gluten free Boxing Day hash recipe. It's all my favourite things about a Christmas dinner - potatoes, pigs in blankets, brie and sprouts - mashed up with my favourite meal: brunch.
Want to get straight to it? Skip to the recipe.
I think Boxing Day might be one of my favourite days of the year. Christmas Day is great, with all your friends and family round, but it always seems to be filled with so many expectations. For me, I much prefer the feasting of Boxing Day. Cold cuts, my Mum's home-cooked ham, plus all the leftovers from Christmas dinner. They just taste so much better the next day!
And my favourite way to eat Christmas dinner leftovers? My gluten free Boxing Day hash recipe of course! It's a bit like a festive version of my gluten free chorizo and sweetcorn hash recipe, which you guys seem to love. Basically, you fry up everything together, add some eggs and bake until finished. Perfect!
A recipe for Christmas dinner leftovers
I think the ease of this dish is definitely another reason it's perfect for Boxing Day. You can whip this up in a matter of minutes and then bung it in the oven. I think I'll even deliberately make too many roast potatoes on Christmas Day, just so I can give this a go! Otherwise I normally just end up eating cold roast potatoes from the fridge the next day - sounds weird, but I love them!
So what goes into my gluten free Boxing Day hash recipe? I've used...
- Roast potatoes
- Brussels sprouts
- Pigs in blankets
- Cramberry sauce
However, you could easily mix this up using whatever leftovers you have from Christmas dinner. I think some shredded turkey or ham would be lovely in this, as would any leftover veg such as carrots or parsnips. The key is to get creative! Everyone's Christmas dinner is different but I've just used our most common leftovers to make my own gluten free Boxing Day hash recipe.
My gluten free Boxing Day hash recipe
So whatever leftovers you have this Christmas, make sure you don't waste them. Use them to make this! You can also check out my round-up of gluten free recipes for Christmas dinner recipes too for more festive inspiration for every course!
- 300 g cooked roast potatoes, (chopped into approx 2-inch pieces)
- 5 cooked pigs in blankets, (sliced in half)
- 30 g raw Brussels sprouts, sliced thinly
- 2-3 slices of brie
- knob butter
- 1-2 tsp cranberry sauce, (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180'C. Add the knob of butter to an ovenproof skillet and melt on a medium heat. Once melted, add the Brussels sprouts and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the chopped potatoes and pigs in blankets, stir and fry for a further 2-3 minutes until they start to crisp up.
- Make two wells in the mixture (I used the back of a ladle) and crack an egg into each. Chop the brie into chunks, scatter over the top of the skillet and then place the whole thing in the hot oven for 8-10 minutes until the egg whites are just cooked.
- Remove from the oven, season with salt and pepper and some mixed herbs if desired, and then add some dollops of cranberry sauce before tucking in!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 portion
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 646Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 258mgSodium: 1313mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 24g
Need some more gluten free brunch inspiration?
If you want to have a go at some of the other easy gluten free brunch recipes on the blog for the festive season, why not give some of these a try?
- Gluten free chorizo and sweetcorn hash recipe
- Gin and tonic pancakes - gluten and dairy free
- Check out the Christmas section of my blog for more festive treats!
If you do make this recipe please let me know! I’d love to see your photos using #theglutenfreeblogger, share them in my Facebook group or tag me on Instagram. And if you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next! Oh – and don’t forget to sign up for my e-newsletter where you’ll know about all my latest posts and competitions first!