Every Christmas I always go into Costa Coffee and stare longingly at their pigs in blankets mac and cheese.
It just sounds like such a dream combination for the festive season, but I've never been able to try it. Until now!
Because this year I've finally decided to make my own gluten free pigs in blankets mac and cheese recipe!
Whether you're looking for a Christmas Eve meal, a festive treat to share with family and friends, or a way to use up Christmas dinner leftovers, this recipe is for you.
My gluten free pigs in blankets mac and cheese mac and cheese recipe combines a super cheesy, creamy sauce with salty pigs in blankets and of course a festive favourite - sprouts!
Got to get some greens in there, right!?
This recipe is actually very similar to my original gluten free mac and cheese recipe, but I have put a bit of a festive twist on the sauce with addition of mustard.
With the pigs in blankets and the crunch of the sprouts it's just the best comfort dish ever.
Plus I've added a crunchy breadcrumb topping for that extra indulgence.
A festive family treat for Christmas
The best thing about this gluten free pigs in blankets mac and cheese is that it's so easy to make.
It's also such a crowd-pleaser. Even the sprout-haters will probably be turned by this one, it's fast becoming one of my favourites.
To make the recipe, you whip up a simple cheese sauce, then add the cooked sprouts and pigs in blankets before baking in the oven to get that delicious, crunchy, cheesy top.
It's so satisfying when you cut into the crisp top to reveal the deliciously cheese sauce underneath!
In terms of gluten free macaroni, you can pick this up easily in most supermarkets.
I used the Sainsbury's free from one to make this and it worked well.
My gluten free pigs in blankets mac and cheese recipe
Here it is, the best recipe to whip up for friends and family during the Christmas holidays!
You could easily add any extra leftover cheeses to this as well that might be lurking in the fridge.
A handful of stilton or some leftover Boursin would be a welcome addition! Just get creative with it.
[yikes-mailchimp form="1" title="1" description="1"]
- 250 g gluten free macaroni
- 300 g extra mature cheddar cheese, (grated)
- 50 g salted butter
- 60 g plain gluten free flour
- 600 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 80 ml double cream
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 8 pigs in blankets, (cooked)
- 100 g Brussels sprouts, (cooked)
For the topping:
- 1 slice gluten free bread
- 75 g extra mature cheddar cheese, (grated)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180'C/Gas 4. Cook the macaroni as per the packet instructions while you start the sauce. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
- In a different pan melt the butter. Add the flour, stir for a minute to create a roux. Next, pour approx ⅕ of the milk into the pan, stirring continually until smooth. Repeat until all the milk has been added and there are no lumps. Add the mustard, cheese and double cream and stir until smooth.
- Add the drained macaroni to the sauce, along with the cooked sprouts and pigs in blankets. Stir until fully coated and then pour into an ovenproof dish.
- Blitz the bread and salt and pepper in a food processor until in crumbs. Pour the crumbs and grated cheese over the macaroni cheese until fully coated. Bake for approx 10 minutes until golden and bubbling on top then serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 portion
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 924Total Fat: 60gSaturated Fat: 34gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 166mgSodium: 1196mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 37g
Need some more gluten free Christmas inspiration?
If you want to have a go at some of the other easy gluten free Christmas recipes on the blog for the festive season, why not give some of these a try?
- All the gluten free Christmas party recipes you need
- My classic gluten free yule log recipe
- Check out the Christmas section of my blog for more festive treats!
- Buy my Gluten Free Christmas ebook
And if you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next!
Oh – and don’t forget to sign up for my e-newsletter where you’ll know about all my latest posts and competitions first!