Gluten free mac and cheese might actually be my second favourite meal ever - after gluten free pizza of course. There's something about it which is just so comforting! Thick, cheesy, delicious sauce with a crispy cheese topping, this gluten free mac and cheese is filled with flavour and calories - and I LOVE IT. If you're after something healthy, look away now, because this is the ultimate comfort food right here.
Want to get straight to it? Skip to the recipe.
Gluten free mac and cheese is something I make quite often, but I've never thought to put a recipe on here! I tend to post recipes of all sorts of sweet treats but forget about the delicious savoury meals too! In fact, if you read my blog regularly you'll probably think all I eat is cakes and desserts. I promise I do eat normal food too!
When Steve and I visited New York we went to a place which did gluten free mac and cheese and it was amazing. Since then I've been on a mission to make something as good, and I think I've finally cracked it! I've used a medley of different cheeses in this, but I love the red Leicester as it gives the gluten free mac and cheese a lovely rich colour too.
Gluten free macaroni is pretty easy to come by nowadays. I picked up some in Sainsbury's free from aisle, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it in Tesco and Morrisons too. Of course, if you can't find macaroni you could use a different pasta like penne. But macaroni is the best!
The trick to the perfect gluten free mac and cheese is definitely baking it in the oven once you've coated it with a layer of grated cheese. It just gives it this delicious, crunchy, cheesy top. Perfect! It's actually making me drool just writing this - I hope you love it as much as I do! And if there are any gluten free meals you really miss, please comment below and let me know!
My gluten free mac and cheese recipe
- 250 g gluten free macaroni
- 200 g mature cheddar cheese, (grated)
- 100 g red Leicester cheese, (grated)
- 50 g salted butter
- 60 g plain gluten free flour
- 500 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 80 ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180'C/Gas 4. Cook the macaroni as per the packet instructions while you start the sauce. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
- In a different pan melt the butter. Add the flour, stir for 30 seconds - a minute then add the milk and double cream. Stir until smooth. Add the cheese to the sauce (reserving a handful for sprinkling on top later), plus a helping of salt and pepper. Tip: If you want a kick, add a few chilli flakes!
- Add the cooked macaroni to the sauce and stir until coated. Pour into an ovenproof dish, sprinkle with the leftover cheese, and then bake for around 10 minutes until golden on top. Enjoy straight away!
Need some more gluten free meal ideas?
Still need some gluten free meal inspiration? Why not try my…
- Gluten free spicy stuffed aubergines with tofu and feta
- Gluten free turkey bolognese
- Gluten free katsu curry
If you do make this recipe please let me know! I’d love to see your photos using #theglutenfreeblogger, share them in my Facebook group or tag me on Instagram. And if you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next! Oh – and don’t forget to sign up for my e-newsletter where you’ll know about all my latest posts and competitions first!