I get asked a lot for quick and easy, healthy meal ideas for a gluten free diet - and I think my gluten free turkey bolognese ticks all the boxes. Low fat, high protein, and adaptable to be made low carb, it uses store-cupboard ingredients and is so quick to throw together.
We've started eating this gluten free turkey bolognese a lot as a simple meal for during the week and it's really adaptable to my macros too. The bolognese is low fat and high protein - if I'm training at the gym I'll have it with gluten free pasta to get a good dose of carbs, and if it's a non-training day I'll have it with vegetables and some feta cheese for added fats.
Perfect for meal prep
The best thing about this gluten free turkey bolognese is it's great for meal prep! You can make a big batch in advance (this recipe is around four servings, but you could easily double it and make a giant pan) and then you can portion it up and freeze it.
I think this gluten free turkey bolognese recipe is best if you make it the night before as the flavours really develop overnight. Not bad, considering I don't get home until 9pm most nights, so I need something quick and easy!
My gluten free turkey bolognese recipe
So without further ado, here's my recipe! You could adapt this for a more traditional bolognese with lean beef mince if you wanted, but I prefer the macros of the turkey mince. Per serving this recipe' macros works out at:
Turkey + sauce: 300 calories; 48.2g protein; 11g carbs; 6.6g fat.
Bolognese with 75g gluten free pasta: 566 calories; 54g protein; 70g carbs; 7g fat.
- 500 g turkey breast mince
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 250 g passata
- 70 g double concentrate tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp vegetable bouillon
- 1 tbsp gluten free Worcester sauce
- 1 tbsp virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 300 g gluten free pasta
- Fresh basil leaves
- Parmesan shavings
- Add the olive oil to a large pan on a low heat. Add the onions, garlic, dried basil and dried oregano and fry for 2-3 minutes gently.
- Add the turkey mince, turn the heat up to medium/high and fry until starting to brown. You'll need to stir this well to ensure the mince is broken up and doesn't clump.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, passata, tomato puree, Worcester sauce and Bouillon to the pan. Stir well, bring to the boil and then turn the heat down to a gentle simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Leave to simmer gently while you cook the pasta.
- Add the gluten free pasta to salted, boiling water and cook as per the instructions - usually 10-12 minutes. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
- Remove the turkey from the heat. Serve the pasta into bowls and divide the sauce equally between servings. Top with ripped fresh basil leaves and grated parmesan.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 people
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 566
So there you have it, my gluten free turkey bolognese recipe. See, isn't it simple? I really hope you give this a go as it's so easy to make and really is delicious. The perfect midweek meal!
Like this recipe? Make sure you pin this recipe card below for later!