This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, check out my Disclosure Policy. Thank you for your support!
If you want a delicious budget meal gluten free and vegan, look no further than this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chilli.
This vegetarian chilli recipe is made with sweet potato and black beans. Plus it's cooked in the slow cooker for a cheap and tasty meal.
The tomato-based sauce is flavoured with garlic, cumin, chilli and paprika, with colourful bursts of sweet potato, red onion and sweetcorn.
I love serving this as a vegetarian alternative to my chilli con carne recipe.
You can enjoy it either with rice or served with lashings of soured cream and guacamole.
This is such a versatile dish which is why I love it so much. Have it as a hearty meal, freeze it for meal prep or take it in a Tupperware for lunch.
It's just more proof that a slow cooker is perfect for cooking meat-free meals too.
Ingredients and Substitutions
There's a full printable recipe card below with the quantities for this recipe. But for your shopping list, the ingredients you'll need for this veggie chilli are:
- Red Onion - You can use a brown onion or even spring onions if you prefer, but I love the colour and delicate flavour of red onion.
- Sweet Potato - This is the main flavour and texture of the dish, and balances out the smoky and chilli flavours. You can use white potato if you don't like sweet potato, but trust me - sweet potato is miles better.
- Black Beans - I really love black beans and they add great texture to this chilli as well as a boost of protein. Any type of bean will work though. If you can't find black beans I recommend kidney beans or adzuki beans instead. Or a mixture!
- Sweetcorn - Tinned sweetcorn is a super cheap ingredient and adds a lovely burst of colour to this chilli recipe. You can use fresh or frozen if you prefer.
- Vegetable Stock - Always double check that the stock you are using is gluten free. I use the Knorr stock cubes but I have a whole list of gluten free stock cubes here.
- Tomatoes - The addition of tinned chopped tomatoes and tomato puree adds colour and flavour to the sauce. It's also a great, cheap storecupboard ingredients.
- Herbs and Spices - This vegetarian chilli uses a combination of fresh garlic and red chilli along with dried spices: cumin, paprika and chilli powder. These form the base of a lot of my recipes so once you have them you can use them over-and-over! I also use fresh coriander to add a burst of flavour.
- Dark Chocolate - This is ESSENTIAL for making chilli! I always add it to my gluten free chilli con carne recipe too. Always double check your chocolate is gluten free and has no 'may contains' warnings. I use Lindt 70% or higher.
This recipe is naturally gluten free, dairy free and vegan. So in terms of dietary requirements, doesn't tend to need many swaps.
However you can happily change or add any vegetables you like. Some diced red peppers, butternut squash chopped carrot would also go nicely in this recipe.
IS A SLOW COOKER ECONOMICAL?
I know a lot of people are worried about the cost of living and looking for cheaper alternative to turning on the gas or electric oven.
The good news is slow cookers are actually pretty efficient to run!
I've done a bit of research online and it looks like a slow cooker costs roughly 16p a day to run, compared to 87p a day for an electric cooker.
It seems slow cookers, microwaves and air fryers are ultimately a cheaper option, which is why I think you'll love this recipe so much!
In fact, I have tonnes of other slow cooker recipes so once you get one, you can use it every day if you like!
WHAT IF I DON'T HAVE A SLOW COOKER?
No problem! You can either make this recipe on the hob or in the oven.
For the hob, add all the ingredients, cover with a lid and cook on a low/med simmer for around 30-40 minutes until the sweet potatoes are cooked through.
For the oven I'd recommend cooking with a lid on at around 180C (Gas Mark 4) for around an hour.
But ultimately this recipe is made for the slow cooker so I'd definitely recommend it as the best and most efficient way to make it!
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chilli Recipe
This easy, veggie-packed dinner is a great budget meal and cooks in the slow cooker while you go about your day.
The recipe below serves four people but you can always make a bigger portion in a large slow cooker if you need to.
Any leftovers can also be portioned up and frozen for an easy meal another night.
And please do leave a review to let others know you loved it too! It would mean the world to me.
This easy slow cooker chilli is packed with veggies, with sweet potato and black beans in a smoky chilli sauce. It's a great budget meal and is gluten free, dairy free and vegan.
- 500g sweet potato (chopped into 1-2cm chunks)
- 400g black beans
- 250ml gluten free vegetable stock
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander (finely chopped)
- 100g tinned sweetcorn
- 3 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 red chilli (deseeded and finely chopped)
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 square (10g) dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- Salt and pepper
- Add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker and mix together well, trying to ensure as much of the veg as possible is submerged in the sauce.
- Place the lid on and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove the lid, stir and then serve with soured cream and fresh coriander as a one-pot wonder. You can add rice if you like but I find it filling without!
Any leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days or frozen and defrosted and reheated when needed.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 467Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 840mgCarbohydrates: 73gFiber: 17gSugar: 17gProtein: 23g
Need more gluten free recipe inspiration?
Here are some more gluten free slow cooker recipes you can try out once you've made this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chilli recipe.
- Slow Cooker Tomato and Mascarpone Risotto
- Slow Cooker Chickpea and Potato Curry
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
If you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next!
Like this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chilli recipe?
Make sure you follow me on Pinterest and pin this recipe card below for later!