You may gathered right now that I am a HUGE fan of potato salad – but my absolute current favourite right now has to be my Spanish style potato salad.
This smokey, tasty potato salad recipe with a twist is packed with flavour and the perfect gluten free BBQ side dish or salad buffet contribution.
Crispy chorizo marries with juice cherry tomatoes, in a garlic and lemon mayonnaise dusted with smokey paprika. It’s the perfect summer salad dish!
What is Spanish-style potato salad?
Ok, so I don’t know if there technically is a specific Spanish-style potato salad recipe, but I like to think if there was, this is it.
(Any Spanish followers, please don’t shout at me if I have butchered a classic here!! But I’d love to know in the comments if a Spanish potato salad this is an actual thing – and if this is even close!)
Chorizo is one of my favourite cured meats and I always find it in the Spanish-style recipes I love so much.
In this recipe you fry it up to get it beautifully crispy, and it adds a bold flavour and delicious chewy texture to this potato salad recipe.
I’ve also created a garlic and lemon mayonnaise dressing, similar to the delectable aioli you so often find in delicious tapas dishes.
What goes into this Spanish style potato salad?
The base of this Spanish-style potato salad recipe is very similar to my classic potato salad recipe – in that is uses in-season baby, new or Jersey Royal potatoes.
However in this potato salad recipe, the eggs and spring onions are replaced with chorizo and cherry tomatoes.
There’s a printable recipe card below with the full recipe and ingredients, but for the shopping list you’ll need:
- Jersey royal or baby potatoes
- Cherry tomatoes
- Garlic paste
- Lemon juice
- Smoked paprika
It’s a really simple recipe that you can either throw together just before dinner, or make it ahead of time so the flavours really develop and absorb into the potatoes!
Tips for making the perfect potato salad
Making a potato salad is so easy, anyone can do it!
But there are a couple of quick tips you can use and really, the secret lies in how you cook the potatoes.
Firstly, I would recommend sticking to baby potatoes, new potatoes or Jersey Royals, as you’ll get the best texture and flavour from these.
Second, when you cook the potatoes, cook them whole. That way you’ll avoid them soaking up too much moisture during the cooking process – you can cut them up after.
Finally, do NOT salt the potatoes when cooking!
I know it’s tempting – I do it all the time when making something like mash. However, salting the water will also mean the potatoes absorb more water.
You can add salt and pepper to your dressing (don’t forget the chorizo will add a level of saltiness anyway) – but adding it to the potatoes beforehand might make them go mushy.
My gluten free Spanish-style potato salad recipe
This gluten free Spanish potato salad recipe makes enough for 4-6 people as a side dish at any BBQ or party platter.
It can be made the night before and eaten while the potatoes are still a little warm, or completely cold – it’s completely your choice.
And please do leave a review to let others know you loved it too! It would mean the world to me.
- 700g baby potatoes
- 120g chorizo
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Place the whole potatoes in a saucepan of cold water. Bring to the boil and cook until tender (approx 20-25 mins depending on potato size!). Prepare the rest of the salad while your potatoes cook to save time!
While the potatoes cook:
- Add the chorizo to a small, non-stick frying pan and fry for 4-5 minutes until crisp. (You can add a little oil but the pan will become oily anyway as the fat in the chorizo cooks.)
- Make the dressing by mixing the mayonnaise, garlic paste and lemon juice in a bowl. Mix well until fully combined.
Once the potatoes are cooked:
- Drain the potatoes. Chop them into halves or quarters (depending how chunky you want your potato salad) and spread out over the chopping board to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooled potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Next add the cherry tomatoes and chorizo. Pour over the dressing then mix well with a large spoon until everything is fully coated.
- Pour into a serving dish and dust with smoked paprika to serve.
- You can enjoy this potato salad hot or cold - it's a great one to make ahead if you want to get organised for a BBQ or event. It can also be made the night before and kept in the fridge.
- Do NOT salt the potato water when cooking - it's important to also keep the potatoes whole as this will stop them from taking on too much moisture, leaving you with a mushy salad.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 304Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 377mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 8g
Need some more gluten free baking inspiration?
If you want to have a go at some of the other gluten free baking recipes on the blog, why not give some of these a try? They’re perfect for baking away all of your troubles.
- Easy gluten free bake-at-home bread recipe
- Gluten free 2-ingredient bagels
- The ultimate gluten free potato salad recipe
- Gluten free Mini Cheddars recipe
And if you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next!
Oh – and don’t forget to sign up for my e-newsletter where you’ll know about all my latest posts and competitions first!