This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, check out my Disclosure Policy. Thank you for your support!
Gluten free pasta always makes for a quick and easy meal - and none more so than my Green Pasta Sauce recipe.
This easy green spinach pasta sauce doesn't even need cooking, meaning it's ready in the time it takes to boil your gluten free pasta.
With just 5 ingredients this vibrant green sauce is great hot or cold. It's perfect for pasta salads or a nice warm evening meal.
I love mixing tiger prawns into my green pasta but it works really well with chicken, halloumi chunks or even roased tomatoes.
Which means it's super easy to make this gluten free pasta vegetarian too.
Essentially, this gluten free spinach pasta recipe with a 'no cook' sauce is honestly the BEST dinner for those nights you just cannot be bothered.
So grab your food processor, a few key ingredients and a bag of gluten free pasta ready to whip it up in no-time.
It's the best fuss free, gluten free dinner for a busy week!
Green Spinach Pasta Sauce
The best thing about this gluten free pasta recipe? The whole thing takes less than 15 minutes to cook!
Perfect for when you're super tired or it's too hot to cook (which for me is basically every day).
Green pasta sauces always make me feel like I'm eating a healthy meal and it's a great way to sneak in 'hidden veg'.
I don't think the fussy eaters in your life would even notice how much spinach goes into this recipe.
Plus spinach is filled with all sort of goodness. For example, it's rich in calcium and iron.
Which means not only can you throw this meal together in less than 15 minutes, it's good for you too.
How is the creamy green sauce so quick, you ask? The answer is simple - you don't even have to cook it!
What do I need for this gluten free pasta recipe?
To make this gluten free creamy green pasta sauce you'll just need a few ingredients.
The full recipe is below with instructions (and it's printable!) but for the shopping list, you'll need to pick up:
- Gluten Free Pasta: Any gluten free pasta will work but for this recipe I used the Napolina Gluten Free Fusilli. I found it worked really well and didn't go hard at all when eaten cold in a pasta salad. Highly recommend it, even if it is a bit pricier.
- Fresh Spinach Leaves: These provide the vibrant green colour! I recommend using fresh spinach over frozen otherwise you could end up with a very wet sauce.
- Crème fraîche: The lovely creaminess from the green sauce comes from using crème fraîche. I recommend the full fat version but the reduced fat one will work too. If you prefer you can use cream cheese instead.
- Lemon Juice: I love adding lemon juice as it adds a kick to the sauce. It's a subtle addition but works really well when you're adding prawns too.
- Garlic: You can use chopped garlic, garlic cloves or garlic paste - any will work. You can omit garlic if you can't tolerate it but I can't get enough!
- Parmesan Cheese: Using dried cheese like parmesan adds a lovely nutty flavour without being too overpowering.
I also added tiger prawns and fresh rocket to my gluten free pasta and enjoyed it particularly as a cold pasta salad.
Sun-dried tomatoes, olives, crumbled feta or mozzarella balls would also be a great addition to this dish.
How to make green sauce for pasta
Honestly, making this green sauce pasta could not be any easier.
All you need to do is add all the ingredients to a food processor or blender and blitz them together into a sauce.
And that's it - no cooking needed!
Once you've done that, add it to your cooked and drained pasta before adding any extras like prawns, tomatoes or chorizo.
My gluten free spinach pasta recipe
I know time is always precious, so here's my gluten free pasta recipe for you to crack on with!
This recipe makes enough for two people but you can easily increase (or decrease) the measurements depending on how many hungry mouths you have to feed!
And if you loved it, please do leave a review to let others know you loved it too! It would mean the world to me.
This easy gluten free pasta recipe is ready in less than 15 minutes with a creamy, 'no cook' green pasta sauce. Perfect for a speedy gluten free dinner. This recipe serves two people and is best served fresh while still hot.
- 250g gluten free penne pasta
- 100g fresh spinach
- 150g crème fraîche
- 1 lemon (juice only)
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 30g parmesan
- 180g cooked tiger prawns (optional)
- Handful rocket (to serve)
- Cook the pasta as per the pack instructions (I like to cook mine in salted water). While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce.
- Add the spinach, crème fraîche, lemon juice and garlic paste to a blender and blitz until it forms a smooth, creamy sauce.
- Once the pasta is cooked, reserve 1 tbsp of the water and drain the pasta off. Pour it back into the saucepan, add the reserved water and then pour over the sauce.
- Add the prawns and mix well over a low heat, until the prawns are warmed through. Alternatively, you can leave the pasta to cool completely and add the cold prawns for a pasta salad. Serve with rocket.
- If you're new to cooking gluten free pasta, it's best cooked by placing it into boiling water, give it a bit of a stir and leave it to bubble away. It can go a bit mushy if you interfere too much - as long as there is plenty of water and it's boiling well it should be OK if you stick to the pack timings. If you find it sticks, try adding a little olive oil to the water before adding the pasta.
- This recipe is best served hot - gluten free pasta tends to go quite hard when cooled down, though it's still safe to eat this way. It can be reheated but the pasta may fall apart a little or become slightly chewy, depending on the brand you use.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 478Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 567mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 7gSugar: 10gProtein: 17g
Need some more gluten free meal inspiration?
If you want to have a go at some of the other gluten free dinner recipes on the blog, why not give some of these a try?
They’re perfect for baking away all of your troubles.
- Creamy houmous and chorizo pasta
- Vegan and gluten free chickpea curry
- The ULTIMATE potato salad recipe
- Chinese chicken curry recipe
And if you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next!
Oh – and don’t forget to sign up for my e-newsletter where you’ll know about all my latest posts and competitions first!
Like this Green Pasta Sauce recipe?
Make sure you pin these recipe cards below for later!
Do head over and follow me on Pinterest too for more gluten free recipe inspiration.