Egg muffins are literally the best on-the-go breakfast idea. If you're short on time and haven't got a chance (or the energy) to make up an omelette in the morning, you can start your day strong with these handy little egg muffins.
They're delicious hot or cold, so flexible in terms of your ingredients and, with this recipe, a great way to sneak some veg into your first meal of the day. I like to make a big batch and then keep them in the fridge ready for when Steve starts work early - and gets up late!
As well as the recipe below, I also made a variation of these without the bacon and mushroom - but added in more courgette and diced jalapeno peppers instead. These made a great snack!
These are seriously easy to do - if you make some and try some other fillings let me know by commenting below!
Bacon, cheese and mushroom egg muffins
Recipe makes approximately eight muffins.
4 extra large eggs
2 rashers bacon
50g grated cheese (I used mature cheddar)
½ tsp coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 180'C. Line a muffin tin with muffin cases - or if you don't have any, grease with butter/coconut oil.
- Finely chop the mushrooms. Fry the bacon rashers in some coconut oil and once cooked, cut into small pieces. Add the mushrooms to the frying pan for a further 2-3 minutes and then set aside.
- Crack four eggs into a large mixing bowl/jug and whisk lightly. Add the bacon and mushroom mix to the eggs.
- Great the courgette and add this and the cheese to the egg mixture. Mix well and season with some salt and pepper if desired.
- Pour the mixture evenly between the muffin cases, do not fill too much as they will rise. Place the tray in the oven for 15 minutes and bake.
- Remove from the oven and eat hot or cool - can be stored in the fridge for a couple of days and eaten as desired!
RECIPE NOTES: To make this dairy free, you could try substituting the cheddar for vegan cheese or use goats cheese if you have a problem with cow's milk. Diced peppers or red onion would also add a great taste or try adding some chilli flakes for a kick!
Comment below with your suggestions as to what you'd add to your breakfast muffins!