There’s nothing better than finding a one-pan dinner recipe and my herb-crusted salmon and smashed potato tray bake is just perfect.
If you want something simple, tasty and healthy for dinner then this gluten free salmon tray bake really does tick all the boxes.
A quick and healthy dinner idea
So what goes into this gluten free salmon tray bake? For starters, you want some lovely fresh salmon fillets, which you’ll top with a crunchy, zesty, herby crumb which goes lovely and crisp in the oven.
Pair this with crunchy, garlicky smashed potatoes and bursts of roasted vine tomatoes and you’re onto a winner.
This is a fabulous gluten free dinner for all seasons – and served with a drizzle of pesto olive oil it’s a great boost of healthy fats too.
A great way to use up leftover bread
The best thing about my gluten free herb-crusted salmon? The fact it’s a great way to use up leftover stale gluten free bread!
I actually was inspired to make this recipe when I had a couple of bread crusts left and wanted a way to use them up.
Breadcrumbs is always my go-to answer and if you had a lot of bread to use up, you could even make up a big batch of the crumb mix and freeze it for the next time you want to make this!
Making my smashed potatoes
Smashed potatoes are definitely the best way to have potatoes in my opinion! They have the amazing crispness of a roast potato while they’re soft and fluffy inside.
I actually used the recipe for my pesto smashed potatoes in this tray bake, but they also make an excellent side dish for any meat, fish, or vegetarian meal.
You simply boil and drain the potatoes, ‘smash’ them under the pan and then bake them with oil, garlic, and salt and pepper. So simple, but so delicious!
My gluten free salmon tray bake recipe
Here it is, my delicious gluten free salmon tray bake recipe with smashed potatoes! This recipe makes enough for two people so you can easily alter the quantities if you want to cook for more or less.
And please do leave a review to let others know you loved it too! It would mean the world to me.
Sign Up To The Gluten Free 101 Newsletter!
For the salmon:
- 2 wild salmon fillets
- 2 slices of gluten free bread
- Handful fresh basil
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Salt and Pepper
For the potatoes:
- 8 x baby potatoes
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp virgin olive oil
For the pesto drizzle:
- 1 heaped tsp pesto
- 2 tbsp virgin olive oil
- Pack of vine tomatoes
- Add the potatoes to a saucepan of cold water. Bring to the boil and boil for 15 minutes before draining. While the potatoes boil, prepare the salmon.
- Preheat the oven to 180'C. Grease a large, flat baking sheet with 1 tbsp of olive oil and set aside.
- Add the gluten free bread, salt, pepper, fresh basil and lemon juice to a food processor. Blitz until they form crumbs and then empty onto a plate.
- Place the salmon fillet, skin side up, onto the breadcrumbs. Ensure the pink side is entirely coated in crumbs (press them down onto the surface of the salmon to get a thick coating) before placing the fillets - skin side down - onto the oiled baking tray.
- Once the potatoes are cooked and drained, carefully 'squash' them one-by-one under the bottom of the saucepan. You want them to just 'pop' open, don't flatten them completely!
- Carefully transfer the potatoes to the oiled baking tray and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic granules.
- Arrange the vine tomatoes around the salmon and potatoes. Drizzle the rest of the olive oil over the potatoes and tomatoes and then place the tray in the centre of the oven and bake at 180'C for 20-25 minutes. The potatoes and herb crumb should both go crisp and golden.
- When the tray is nearly cooked, make the pesto drizzle by mixing the olive oil and pesto in a bowl. Remove the tray from the oven, drizzle with the pesto mix, and serve straight away.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 portion
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 678Total Fat: 49.7gTrans Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 27.5gProtein: 28g
Need some more gluten free dinner inspiration?
If you want to have a go at some of the other gluten free cake recipes on the blog, why not give some of these a try? They’re perfect to satisfy any cake cravings!
- Gluten free spaghetti bolognese recipe
- Easy gluten free Chinese chicken curry
- Quick and delicious gluten free mushroom stroganoff recipe
And if you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next!
Oh – and don’t forget to sign up for my e-newsletter where you’ll know about all my latest posts and competitions first!