This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, check out my Disclosure Policy. Thank you for your support!
Gluten free banana cake is one of my favourite ways to use up over-ripe bananas, and this gluten and dairy free banana date and walnut cake takes it to a whole new level. The sticky, dates and syrup makes this super indulgent, and the bananas add a stodgy sweetness which is just perfect with a cup of tea.
This gluten free banana date and walnut cake is packed full of flavour. I love the texture that the chunks of dates and walnuts give it - a lovely chewiness and crunchiness all in one. The syrup keeps the sponge really moist shudder - hate that word! as well, which makes it a real treat.
The riper the bananas are in this recipe, the better. You want them to be really blackened on the outside, and soft and bruised on the inside. Bananas have SO much more flavour this way! It also makes them a lot easier to mash up to add to the mixture.
I decided to make this cake recipe dairy free as well as gluten free, and I used the Pure Free From gluten and dairy free spread instead of butter. I also used the Freee Dove's Farm self raising flour to make sure my banana date and walnut cake had a perfect rise to it. The walnuts sprinkled on top give it a touch of fanciness and finish off the cake beautifully.
Gluten and dairy free banana date and walnut cake recipe
I've put together this handy little video showing you how to make the perfect gluten and dairy free banana date and walnut cake. You can also find the full recipe and ingredients below - and if you like this recipe, don't forget to check out this yummy gluten free and dairy free banana protein bread, or my gluten free banana bread doughnuts.
A deliciously sweet banana date and walnut cake, which is also gluten free and dairy free.
- 175 g dairy free spread, plus extra to grease the tin
- 200 g gluten free self-raising flour
- 100 g light muscovado sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 3 small over-ripe bananas, around 320g with the skins on
- 120 g pitted dates, chopped
- 125 g walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Grease a loaf tin and then line with baking parchment.
- Place the gluten free flour, dairy free spread, cinnamon and sugar into a large mixing bowl and mix together. Then add the eggs and syrup and mix until it forms a light batter.
- Mash the bananas and add to the mixture with the dates and 75g of the walnuts – reserve the remaining 50g of nuts to the side for topping later.
- Stir the cake mixture until fully combined and then pour into the loaf tin. Sprinkle the remaining chopped walnuts on top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes in the centre of the oven, until the cake is golden and firm to the touch, and you can pull a skewer out clean from the centre.
- Cool in the tin for 15-20 minutes before carefully removing and cooling on a wire rack. Slice up and serve with a cuppa!
Will keep for a couple of days in a sealed container.