This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, check out my Disclosure Policy. Thank you for your support!
Nothing screams Sunday morning like waffles. For years I have yearningly looked on as friends post envy-inducing shots of their loaded waffle breakfasts and thought, with a sigh, one day…
Being on a gluten free diet was on obstacle in my progress. Not eating grains was another. And not having a waffle maker, well, that was also a bit tricky. Until PT Steve got one for his birthday, and the world of waffles was suddenly unlocked!
It took quite a bit of research to find a basic waffle recipe which could suit both of our needs. It needed to be minimal, as the kitchen cupboards were dangerously bare. It has to be gluten free (obviously) and also low carb to suit Steve’s current diet in preparation for his fitness photoshoot. A half empty bag of coconut flour lurking at the back of the cupboard seemed like a good place to start – and it worked really well.
I’d never used a waffle iron before and was worried that, despite being non-stick, I would be scraping burnt-on mixture off of the waffle maker. I did add a bit of coconut oil to the hot iron to grease it up more and was pleased to see absolutely no sticking at all. The waffles just peeled off!
The recipe is fairly basic – I am hoping to experiment with making protein powder waffles soon, stay tuned – but this allows you to be versatile with the toppings. We topped ours with a simple option of warmed berries, but next time I’m planning on having Walden’s Farm pancake syrup on top! Other gluten free waffle topping ideas could include…
· Chocolate spread, crushed nuts and bananas
· Berries, yoghurt and honey
· Maple syrup (bacon optional!)
· Warm winter fruits such as these gluten free stewed plums
So how do I make these waffles, I hear you cry? Well, my friends, grab your waffle makers and enjoy these quick and simple grain free, gluten free, low carb waffles for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Gluten free, low carb, paleo coconut flour waffles
Makes four waffles
30g coconut flour
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp vanilla essence
pinch of salt
1. Preheat the waffle maker. When it has reached temperature, drop or spray a little coconut oil on to grease it.
2. Melt the butter gently in the microwave
3. Add the eggs, cinnamon, vanilla extract, salt and coconut flour to the mixture
4. Beat until you have got rid of any lumps. It should be a thick batter.
5. Spoon into the waffle maker and cook for around four minutes until golden brown. Enjoy!