This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, check out my Disclosure Policy. Thank you for your support!
These gluten free apple crumble cupcakes are certainly the epitome of an autumn bake.
After an October which has felt more like spring than autumn, the colder weather has finally started to arrive.
I thought it was the perfect time for my gluten free apple crumble cupcakes.
When I think of autumn, I think of apple crumble and comfort foods.
So I decided to turn this classic autumnal dessert into these beautiful gluten free apple crumble cupcakes.
Apples are definitely a theme in my kitchen at the moment, as you can probably tell by my latest dessert creation, my gluten free sticky toffee apple upside-down cake.
They're just the perfect sign of fall and so flexible when it comes to cooking.
These gluten free apple crumble cupcakes are the perfect pairing of apple chunks, crunchy crumble pieces and warming cinnamon frosting.
The perfect flavours to take you right through autumn and winter!
Perfect for a cold day
I don't know about you, but I much prefer baking when it's cold and rainy outside.
There is just something really comforting about it!
I'm currently have a bit of a cupcake craze at the moment and trying to work on my frosting.
It's not perfect but I think I am getting there!
One thing which helped was that I bought some bigger nozzles and a re-useable piping bag; I think this has definitely made a difference.
Mix it up!
I guess you could probably mix these gluten free apple crumble cupcakes up a bit too.
I'd love to try them with some added blackberries, or maybe with a mixture of apple and pear.
Pear crumble is one of my favourite desserts, so I might have to try this one next!
For these cupcakes I added some crumble on top of the cake before cooking them, and then baked the rest of the crumble to decorate them with.
These added a nice crunch and I think they look super pretty for it.
They're almost too pretty to eat! I would definitely recommend eating them in the first day or two as the crumble might begin to soften a little.
But when they taste this good, that isn't a difficult request!
My gluten free apple crumble cupcakes
For the cakes:
- 150 g unsalted butter or Stork
- 150 g caster sugar
- 150 g gluten free self raising flour
- ¼ tsp xantham gum
- 3 large eggs
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 large apples
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp plain gluten free flour
For the crumble:
- 60 g plain gluten free flour
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 30 g caster sugar
For the frosting:
- 100 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 200 g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- First preheat the oven to 180'C/Gas 4. Place 12 cupcake cases in a 12-hole muffin tray and set aside.
- Peel and core the apples and cut into 1cm cubes. Place in a bowl with the brown sugar and 1 tsp plain gluten free flour and stir until coated.
- Make the crumble by rubbing the butter, flour and sugar together until it resembles breadcrumbs. Put this and the apple mixture to one side while you make the cake batter.
- For the cake batter, add the butter and sugar to a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric whisk until pale. Add the eggs and beat again until combined. Add the self raising flour, xantham gum and cinnamon, and beat again. Once combined, fold in the apples.
- Spoon the cake mixture evenly between the cupcake cases. Sprinkle each cake with around ½ tsp crumble mixture. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool cakes completely on a wire rack.
- While the cakes are cooling and the oven is still hot, spread the rest of the crumble mixture over baking paper on a baking tray and bake for around 5-10 minutes until golden. Remove from oven an cool.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter with an electric whisk for a minute or two until soft. Add the icing sugar, milk, cinnamon and vanilla extract and beat again (tip - cover with a clean tea town when you start mixing this to avoid an icing sugar cloud!) until fully mixed.
- Spoon the icing into an icing bag and using a closed star tip, pipe the buttercream frosting on in a swirl. Sprinkle with the cooked crumble mixture to finish.
Need some more baking inspiration?
If you've tried these gluten free apple crumble cupcakes but fancy trying some other gluten free bakes, why not give one of my other recipes a go?
- Gluten free sticky toffee apple upside-down cake
- Gluten free jam roly poly recipe
- gluten free sticky toffee apple upside-down cake
And if you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next!
Oh – and don’t forget to sign up for my e-newsletter where you’ll know about all my latest posts and competitions first!
Like this gluten free apple crumble cupcakes recipe?
Make sure you pin this recipe card below for later!