This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, check out my Disclosure Policy. Thank you for your support!
If I was trying to make a form of 'meat-za', then this would be the chicken equivalent of calzone.
It's got everything (well, apart from the tomatoes) a good pizza needs, except the base has been replaced by good ol' chicken.
Baked in the oven, the chicken is stuffed with spicy pepperoni, creamy mozzarella and basted in pesto to give a rich flavour.
A touch of chilli adds a kick, and I served mine with steamed spinach and green beans...with a cheeky bit of melted butter on top.
Quick, easy and tasty, this is a great meal for a lazy week night.
Even though the recipe contains mozzarella, I used a dairy free pesto (I'll be honest, it was the only pesto in the mother-in-law's cupboard) but I was pleasantly suprised.
Made by Meridian, I thought this 'free from' pesto was actually rather like the 'real' thing.
So, whatever pesto you're using, here's how to make this super easy dish...
Chicken with mozzarella, pepperoni and pesto (Serves two)
Two large chicken breasts
Six slices pepperoni
½ ball mozzarella
2 (heaped) tsp pesto
a pinch of chilli flakes
- Preheat the oven to Gas 6.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts and fold open
- Roll up the pesto and place into the chicken, the close it, kind of like a sandwich
- Place into an ovenproof tray, smother the chicken with pesto and some chilli flakes and bake in the oven for 15 minutes
- Remove from the oven, and place slices of the mozzarella inside the chicken
- Return to the oven for a further 5-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted
- Serve with salad or fresh, steamed vegetables