This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a small comission at no extra cost to you. For more info, check out my Disclosure Policy. Thank you for your support!
This post is sponsored by Juvela.
If you're looking for the ultimate indulgent treat, my gluten free chocolate and banana French toast has just answered all your prayer. Sweet decadent and oozing with melted chocolate, this is the ultimate weekend brunch. And what better time to enjoy it than during British Sandwich Week?
Want to get straight to it? Skip to the recipe.
Ok, I get there's something a little odd about making French toast during British sandwich week, but as I'm in Britain and I want this sandwich, I'm making that my tenuous link and I'm sticking to it. And how could you not fall in love with this gluten free chocolate and banana French toast? It's seriously easy to make and it's incredibly moreish.
The ultimate gluten free brunch recipe
For my gluten free chocolate and banana French toast recipe, I used Juvela Fresh White Gluten Free Bread. It is one of my favourite gluten free breads as the texture is amazing. You can pick it up in Tesco in the free from aisle! I find I have to toast a lot of gluten free bread to make it palatable, but not this stuff. It's made with gluten free wheat starch (read my article on why that's safe for coeliac here) which gives it the best texture. You can just pick it up from the free from aisle in Tesco and eat it straight from the bag.
The basic idea is simple. Take some super ripe bananas, mash them up and mix them with chopped milk chocolate. Spread the mixture between two slices of Juvela Fresh White Gluten Free Bread and sandwich them up. You then make a mix of egg, double cream, vanilla extra and maple syrup for dipping your chocolate-banana sandwich, before frying them in butter. It takes less than 10 minutes from prep to table and they taste INSANE.
My gluten free chocolate and banana French toast recipe
I like to think this is the perfect Sunday brunch recipe, but you could try it for a dessert as well. It's so quick to make and you can't really go wrong. You could also mix up the toppings if you like - maybe next time I might try adding some peanut butter as well! Don't forget to tag me on Instagram and use #theglutenfreeblogger if you give this a go!
- 6 slices Juvela Fresh White Gluten Free Bread
- 1 ripe banana
- 75 g milk chocolate, (chopped into small chunks)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp double cream
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 25 g butter, (for frying)
- Peel the banana and slice it into a large bowl, then mash using a fork. Add the chopped chocolate and stir until mixed well.
- Lay out three pieces of Juvela Fresh White Bread and divide the mixture evenly between them. Spread it out evenly, being careful not to go up to the edges. Place the other three slices on top to make a sandwich.
- Crack the eggs onto a plate and add the double cream, vanilla extract and maple syrup. Whisk using a fork until mixed completely.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan on a low-med heat. Lay one sandwich into the egg mixture to coat one side, then carefully flip it over so that both sides of the sandwich are soaked in the egg mixture.
- Place the sandwich into the frying pan, and cook on one side for one minute. Carefully flip and cook for a minute on the other side, until both sides are golden. Remove and repeat with each sandwich until done. Cut in half and serve hot.
Optional: You can drizzle with some extra maple syrup or dust with cinnamon or icing sugar once cooked before serving.
Need some more gluten free recipe inspiration?
If this recipe has got your tastebuds flowing and you want some more gluten free recipe inspiration, here are some other goodies I have made with Juvela bread...
- My fish goujons and tartare sauce
- Gluten free lemon and pistachio drizzle cake
- My three favourite gluten free sandwich fillings
If you do make this recipe please let me know! I’d love to see your photos using #theglutenfreeblogger, share them in my Facebook group or tag me on Instagram. If you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next! Oh – and don’t forget to sign up for my e-newsletter where you’ll know about all my latest posts and finds!