This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, check out my Disclosure Policy. Thank you for your support!
I am having an absolute obsession with soup at the moment, and my gluten free carrot and lentil soup might be one of my new favourites.
It's vibrant and mildly spicy, plus the protein from the lentils makes it nutritious and filling too. I've been making big batches of this and freezing it. I thought I'd share the recipe so you could too!
So what goes into my gluten free carrot and lentil soup recipe? For starters - carrots and lentils... just to state the obvious! I used 500g of carrots and a 400g tin of lentils for this recipe, which makes enough for about four bowls and also means it's a super cheap recipe to throw together.
Carrots are even cheaper in the winter time so it's a good way to get your fix of seasonal veg.
I added a red pepper to my soup to give it a depth of flavour, and then spiced it up with some cumin, garlic, chilli and oregano.
I like my gluten free carrot and lentil soup to be just a little bit spicy, but if you like the heat you can crank up the chillis a notch! You might also like to try my fiery carrot, ginger and chilli soup if you want something with a bit of a kick.
A great lunch for meal-prepping
This gluten free carrot and lentil soup really is a crowd-pleaser. It's vegetarian, vegan and dairy free.
You can add different flavours to it as you like, and you can whip up a big batch for your meal prep. I like to do this to know that I can really get my head into work, knowing I won't have to stop to do anything more complicated than just heat up a bowl and get stuck in.
If you wanted to, you could easily double the quantities and whip up an extra-large batch. That way you can freeze it portions for the coming weeks ahead.
In terms of stock, I always use the Knorr vegetable stock pots, but you can easily find lots of gluten free stock cubes out there. Here is a handy guide to gluten free stock cubes - or you can make your own chicken or vegetable stock to use too!
My gluten free carrot and lentil soup recipe
So if you're after an easy gluten and dairy free soup recipe, which is also vegan, you've come to the right place! Of course, feel free to add some shredded chicken in after blending if you wanted to add some meat. I prefer mine without though on this occasion.
[yikes-mailchimp form="1" title="1" description="1"]
A gluten free and vegan carrot and lentil soup recipe, which is perfect for batch cooking or for an easy gluten free lunch.
- 500 g carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and roughly chopped
- 400 g tin of green lentils
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 litre gluten free vegetable stock, (I used 2 x Knorr veg stock pots with 1 litre hot water)
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Once melted, add the carrots, peppers and spices and gently fry for 4-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour over the vegetable stock, bring to the boil and then cover with a lid. Turn down to a simmer and leave to simmer for approx 20 minutes, until the carrots have softened.
- Drain the lentils and add them to the soup. Then pour into a blender (you might wanted to do this in batches) and blend until smooth. Serve hot.
- This soup can be made in advance and kept in the fridge for 3-5 days. It can also be frozen for several months.
- I topped mine with some extra chilli flakes and some crumbled gluten free crackers as croutons.
Serving Size:1 portion
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 196Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 783mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 12gSugar: 9gProtein: 11g
Need some more gluten free and vegan recipe inspiration?
Want to have a go at making some more easy gluten free and vegan recipes? Give some of these other gluten free recipes a try! There are plenty to choose from – here are a couple to get you going:
- My super easy vegetable biriyani recipe
- Vegan chickpea and sweetcorn fritters
- Fiery gluten free carrot, ginger and chilli soup
If you do make this recipe please let me know! I’d love to see your photos using #theglutenfreeblogger, share them in my Facebook group or tag me on Instagram. And if you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next! Oh – and don’t forget to sign up for my e-newsletter where you’ll know about all my latest posts and competitions first!