This post is sponsored by Genius Gluten Free.
Brunch is by far my favourite meal of the day, so when Genius asked me to create a recipe with their brand new Genius Gluten Free Fibre Fest Deli Rolls, I knew it had to be brunch-based. And the fabulous shape of the rolls meant they were perfect for a recipe I'd always wanted to try - gluten free bread baskets with egg.
Want to get straight to it? Skip to the recipe.
So what are my gluten free bread baskets? Basically, you hollow out the middle of the roll, crack and egg in it and bake it. But to make my recipe extra special, I reserved the rest of the bread and used it to create a yummy bacon crumble topping. Perfect for a weekend brunch!
And if you serve it up with some vine tomatoes, this brunch recipe backs a third of your daily fibre recommendations. Fibre is essential for a healthy gut, which is why Genius has create these Gluten Free Fibre Fest Deli Rolls. They're super tasty with a lovely, crunchy seeded top. Of course, you could make an array of fillings for them, but I'm hooked on these gluten free bread baskets!
Making the perfect gluten free brunch
For my bread baskets I cooked them for 30 minutes, and the yolk was a tiny bit soft inside, but not completely firm. I'd say kind of similar to if you were to make gluten free scotch eggs. So if you want them a little runnier, you can cook them for less time, around 20 minutes.
I also use butter to brush the outside of my bread baskets as this gives them a lovely flavour and an extra golden crunch too. If you want to make this dairy free you could do so by using a dairy free butter alternative, or leave this step out. Likewise if you're vegetarian then just remove the bacon from the crumble topping. It's such an easy to adapt recipe!
My gluten free bread baskets recipe
So here it is, my gluten free bread baskets recipe with egg and bacon. Once you've tried it I guarantee you'll want to make it again, it's so tasty! I love seeing it when you make my recipes, so don’t forget to tag me on Instagram and use #theglutenfreeblogger if you give this a go!
- 2 Genius Gluten Free Fibre Fest Deli Rolls
- 1 large eggs
- 3 rashers streaky bacon
- 1 tbsp Chives , (chopped)
- Salted and pepper
- 1 tbsp butter, (melted)
- Preheat the oven to 160'C. Take the two Genius Gluten Free Fibre Fest Deli Rolls and slice a very thin later from the top. Then, using a small knife, cut a well in the middle approx ⅔ down. Scoop the bread out and set to one side - you'll need this for the crumble topping.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the inside of each well and the outside of the roll with the melted butter. Crack one egg into each hollowed-out roll. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and place in the hot oven. Cook for 20-30 minutes - 20 for a runnier egg. (Note: If you're roasting vine tomatoes too you can chuck these on the same tray and cook them all together).
- On a second tray, lay out the streaky bacon. Place in the oven when there is 15 minutes cooking time remaining. You want the bacon to go crispy so it's best placed at the top of the oven. When the bacon has been cooking for 10 minutes, crumble the leftover bread onto the tray around it and place back in the oven for a further five minutes.
- Once done, remove everything from the oven. Break the crispy bacon into small pieces and mix with the toasted breadcrumbs. Then crumble this over the top of the egg baskets along with the chopped chive. Serve hot.
Need some more gluten free recipe inspiration?
If this recipe has got your tastebuds flowing and you want some more gluten free recipe inspiration, here are some other goodies you can make for brunch!
- Gluten free shakshuka recipe with pancetta
- Gluten free caramelised banana and coconut pancakes
- My gluten free gin and tonic pancakes recipe
If you do make this recipe please let me know! I’d love to see your photos using #theglutenfreeblogger, share them in my Facebook group or tag me on Instagram. If you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next! Oh – and don’t forget to sign up for my e-newsletter where you’ll know about all my latest posts and finds!