This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, check out my Disclosure Policy. Thank you for your support!
If you're after a gluten free risotto recipe which is tasty, quick to make and healthy too, then look no further! This pea, lemon and thyme risotto is a gorgeously green treat which makes for a great main meal, or an accompaniment to something like my gluten free fried chicken.
I first got the inspiration for this recipe from a Tesco Lactose Free event I attended last year. We made a very similar risotto but I've been working on this gluten free risotto recipe ever since to hone it in and make it my own. It's fresh and lemony, but still feels like a real treat with a cheeky swirl of crème fraîche on top.
Sometimes it can feel hard to eat healthily on a gluten free diet. I'm always getting messages from people saying they struggle with gaining weight after a coeliac disease diagnosis. So much 'free from' food is filled with sugar and excess ingredients to make it appear and taste more 'normal'.
So being able to cook your own meals from scratch is really helpful for staying healthy on a gluten free diet. The great thing about this gluten free risotto recipe is that you can cook up a whole batch and freeze it in portions.
You can eat this risotto it on it's own, with a nice green salad on the side, or as a side dish to chicken or fish. I think this would be amazing with salmon, and I've also tried adding crayfish tails at the last minute too - it's delicious!
However you eat this pea, lemon and thyme risotto, I just know you're going to love it! I've finally got my cooking mojo back after a busy few months and I'm really hoping I can create more easy gluten free meal ideas, so if you have any requests, hit me in the comments below!
Gluten free pea, lemon and thyme risotto recipe
So without further ado, here's my gluten free risotto recipe. I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did, and if you want more risotto recipes let me know! It's one of my favourite meals to make and it's so easy, you're going to love it!
- For the pea purée
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250 g frozen peas
- Juice ½ lemon
- 1 tsp smoked garlic paste
- 150 ml water
- Handful, approx 15g fresh thyme
For the risotto
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 800 ml gluten free vegetable stock
- 250 g arborio rice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 150 g peas
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- First make the pea purée. Finely chop the onion and add to a pan with the olive oil and smoked garlic paste. Fry for 2-3 minutes on a low heat until the onions soften.
- Add the frozen peas, thyme and water, cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Take off the heat, allow to cool slightly and then blend until smooth. Set aside.
- To make the risotto, finely chop the onion and peel and crush the garlic. Add both to a pan with the olive oil and fry for 2-3 minutes until the onions soften.
- Add the rice, stir for a minute on a medium heat. Add the white wine and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Add a ladle-full of stock to the pan. Turn down to a low heat and stir continuously. Once the stock has almost gone, add another ladle. Continue like this until all of the stock is added and the rice is cooked - approximately 20 minutes.
- Add the peas and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the pea purée. Stir through, cook for a further 2-3 minutes until hot through and then serve. Add a spoonful on each serving of crème fraîche and swirl for a lovely effect!
Top tip for cooking risotto - keep your stock hot in another pan while you are adding it in. It's best to add hot stock than cold!
If you're looking for something to serve this up with, why not try my gluten free fried chicken? It's the perfect pairing! Let me know if there is anything you’d like a recipe for next, I love receiving your suggestions.