This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, check out my Disclosure Policy. Thank you for your support!
If you love all things potato then these garlic butter smashed potatoes are about to become your new favourite side dish ever!
Crispy, buttery and garlicky, these are gluten free (and easy to make dairy free / vegan too) and just the absolute best.
I think smashing potatoes may be my favourite way to cook them - they're kind of like next level roast potatoes but better.
By par-boiling the potatoes then crushing them and roasting them you get an amazingly crisp and fluffy potato.
And adding garlic butter takes them to a whole new level - you're going to love them.
There's a full printable recipe card below with the quantities and method but here's the main ingredients you'll need...
- Potatoes - I find the best potatoes for this recipe are either Jersey Royals or Charlotte potatoes. Baby Potatoes work well too. Basically you just want a small potato for this recipe, not a big one!
- Olive Oil - I drizzle the potatoes in olive oil with sea salt before adding the garlic butter to make them extra crispy.
- Butter - Salted butter gives the nicest flavour but any butter works in this. For a dairy free or vegan recipe use a vegan butter or olive oil instead.
- Garlic - I use chopped frozen garlic for ease but you can use garlic paste or three cloves of garlic peeled and chopped.
- Fresh Parsley - This is optional but I find it looks great when you serve up the smashed potatoes. You could use chives instead if you prefer.
It's easy to make these garlic butter smashed potatoes dairy free and vegan to cater for everyone if you need to.
If you wanted you could even add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top to make garlicky parmesan smashed potatoes.
These are a really versatile dish - make sure you check out my gluten free smashed potatoes with pesto after making these!
How to make garlic butter smashed potatoes
If you're new to the world of smashed potatoes then please allow me to introduce you to this absolute game-changer!
First of all, you want to par-boil your potatoes, just enough so that you can poke a dinner knife into them easily.
Drain off the potatoes then lay them out on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
Now for the fun part - it's time to smash those babies up!
Use a glass or a mug to gently press down the potatoes until they 'pop' and 'smash' - you don't want to flatten them completely.
This will ensure the edges go all crispy while the insides stay all soft and delicious.
Next I cook them in the oven until they're golden, drizzled with a little oil and salt to ensure they go extra crispy.
Finally, smother them in garlic butter and bake again so that they're buttery, delicious and perfectly crunchy.
My Garlic Butter Smashed Potatoes recipe
This recipe uses 500g potatoes which I find serves two as a main side dish or four as part of a spread.
These smashed potatoes are perfect for a BBQ or as a side dish to any main, they're so versatile.
And please do leave a review to let others know you loved it too! It would mean the world to me.
- 500 g Charlotte Potatoes, Baby Potatoes or Jersey Royals
- 1 tbsp virgin olive oil
- Sea Salt
- 50g salted butter
- 3 tsp chopped garlic (or 3 cloves finely chopped)
- Fresh parsley (to serve)
- Preheat the oven to 200'C / Fan 180C / Gas Mark 6 and line a baking tray with baking paper. Set aside. Fill a large saucepan with salted water and add the potatoes. Place on a high heat and bring to the boil. Once boiling, cook potatoes for approx 15 minuted until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and lay them out on the baking tray. Then, using the bottom of a mug or glass, gently squash the potatoes. You want them flattened but still in one piece. Sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt then drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake the potatoes for 15-20 minutes until golden. Meanwhile in a bowl, melt the butter then add the chopped garlic and stir well.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven. Coat the potatoes in the melted butter then place back in the oven for another 5 minutes. The potatoes should be crisp and golden and smothered in garlic butter.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and then serve.
- Any leftovers can be kept in the fridge and enjoyed cold, or reheat in the oven until hot through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 490Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 480mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 6gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g
Need more gluten free recipe inspiration?
Here are some more gluten free dinner recipes you can try out once you've made these garlic butter smashed potatoes.
If you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next!
Like this Garlic Butter Smashed Potatoes recipe?
Make sure you follow me on Pinterest and pin this recipe card below for later!