This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more info, check out my Disclosure Policy. Thank you for your support!
If you want a super quick and easy dinner idea you can't go wrong with this Air Fryer Pesto Chicken and Potatoes. A one pan meal of chicken breasts stuffed with pesto and mozzarella with crispy potatoes.
This easy pesto chicken breast recipe is such a quick way to cook dinner - if you haven't tried it before then you're going to love it.
I love a dinner recipe I can just throw in the air fryer basket with minimal prep and this is exactly it.
The butterflied chicken breasts are packed with stringy mozzarella and punchy pesto and the new potatoes go beautifully crisp.
I always use my homemade gluten free pesto for this recipe but any kind of pesto will work just as well - you can even use a dairy free one.
Serve this quick air fryer meal up with steamed green veg or a fresh salad for the easiest midweek meal ever.
I'm starting to develop more air fryer recipes so if you have one and want to see more do let me know in the comments at the bottom of this post.
Air fryer chicken is definitely a favourite in our house so I'll try and work on developing some more air fryer chicken recipes soon.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Pesto Chicken
There's a full printable recipe card below with the quantities, but here are the main ingredients you'll need for this recipe:
- Chicken Breasts - You'll need boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, which you can easily pick up in the supermarket.
- Pesto - Most pesto is gluten free, and my homemade pesto recipe will take this to a whole new level. I love a classic green pesto but feel free to mix it up with a different pesto such as red pesto or chilli pesto.
- Mozzarella - I use a ball of mozzarella as I find it has a nicer texture but you could use grated mozzarella instead. Feel free to use a different cheese if you prefer such as Cheddar cheese, brie or Stilton.
- Baby Potatoes - Baby potatoes, Charlotte potatoes or new potatoes all work really well in this recipe. You can always chop up normal white or sweet potatoes if you prefer.
- Seasoning - I use garlic granules and a mixed Italian seasoning to season the potatoes, along with olive oil. You can mix this up if you like but for me the Italian seasoning you can buy in the supermarket does the job perfectly.
Can I make this pesto chicken recipe dairy free?
If you want to make a dairy free air fryer pesto chicken you can do so with just a few simple swaps.
Look in the free from aisle for a vegan pesto and use a dairy free cheese, and the recipe will be completely gluten and dairy free.
How to make air fryer pesto chicken
The full method is in the printable recipe card below but to show you how easy it is to make let me tell you the basic steps.
First you'll need to butterfly your chicken breasts, which is when you cut them in half lengthways without cutting all the way through.
Open them out - like a butterfly - and spread your pesto on one side.
Lay slices of mozzarella on top and then close the chicken breast like a book, using a skewer or cocktail stick to seal it shut if needed.
To get the potatoes ready, simply cut them in half and toss them in the olive oil and seasonings.
Lay the chicken breasts in the air fryer basket then arrange the potatoes around them in one even layer.
I air fry them on 185C but always have a play and see what works best for your individual air fryer.
My Air Fryer Pesto Chicken Recipe
This gluten free air fryer pesto chicken recipe is an easy and quick dinner recipe.
Everyone will love it and if you don't have an air fryer I've put instructions for cooking it in the oven below too.
Though I do highly recommend getting an air fryer as they've been an absolute game-changer for me in the kitchen.
I also shared this recipe on my Instagram page so hopefully this video will prove how easy this is to make:
And please do leave a review to let others know you loved it too! It would mean the world to me.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp pesto (I used homemade)
- Half a ball of mozzarella (sliced)
- 400g baby potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Sea salt
- Butterfly the chicken breasts and open them up. Smear 1 tbsp pesto over each one and then place 2 mozzarella slices in each.
- Close the chicken back up again (you can use a skewer or cocktail stick to keep it in place) and place in the air fryer basket.
- Cut the baby potatoes in half and add to a bowl with the olive oil, garlic granules, Italian seasoning and a generous helping of salt. Toss to coat then empty into the air fryer basket in an even layer around the chicken.
- Cook at 185C for 20 minutes and serve. If using the oven, cook on a baking tray at 200C for 25-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 467Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 444mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 5gSugar: 2gProtein: 44g
Need more gluten free recipe inspiration?
Here are some more gluten free dinner recipes you can try out once you've made this Gluten Free Air Fryer Pesto Chicken recipe.
- Gluten Free Air Fryer Arancini
- Lemon Chicken Tray Bake
- Greek Chicken Tray Bake
- Gluten Free Chicken Katsu Curry
If you have any recipe suggestions, please let me know in the comments what you’d like to see next!
Like this Air Fryer Pesto Chicken recipe?
Make sure you follow me on Pinterest and pin this recipe card below for later!